look for a mafia kind of film

Guest rajavel

Guest rajavel

hi everybody

great. wish u all the same. my next film deals with the subject of mafia in rural india. i am wondering about the kind of look i can give for the film. i am basically looking at high contrast look. could someone suggest ideas. and also some interesting references (films or images) ..anything that can be an inspiration. thanks.

raj

• Premium Member

Hi,

Depends what sort of sets/locations/people you will be shooting, and the storyline. What contrasts can you choose to show, and what character changes can you highlight with changes in the look? What do you want the photography to do?

Phil

I just watched a doco on the National Geographic channel about the mafia and the real 'donnie brasco'

Alot of it had the subjects almost hidden in shadow, but still recognisable. It was quite well done.

It was definately high contrast and hard lighting.

• Premium Member
hi everybody

great. wish u all the same. my next film deals with the subject of mafia in rural india. i am wondering about the kind of look i can give for the film. i am basically looking  at high contrast look. could someone suggest ideas. and also some interesting references (films or images) ..anything that can be an inspiration. thanks.

raj

For a high-contrast look, check out the Spike Lee film, "Clockers". It had a really cool, primary colors look with very high contrast. Shot by Malik Sayeed. Looked alot like Kodachrome slides.

Guest rajavel
Hi,

Depends what sort of sets/locations/people you will be shooting, and the storyline. What contrasts can you choose to show, and what character changes can you highlight with changes in the look? What do you want the photography to do?

Phil

yes. Phil this is about a kid who is from a brahmanic family who is into vedas and slokas....basically scholastic. but sad incidents change his course where he loses his mom dad and he takes refuge with a muslim old man...and from there he goes (grown up version) and reaches a mafia group where he does the accounting and stuff but ends up charming the entire group. then clash with the opponenet and he loosees the boss. and he gets into action (rowdism) by chance and that life changes him is the story. so there is situatiunal change that changes the protagonist. i was thinking to soft light the character intially and as he goes thro and joins the mafia..make ti more contrasty. ofcourse..i love the photography to enhance the storytelling and the mood. any ideas suggestions