My RX5 Purchase

danny bartle

I'm really liking 16mm at the moment & have the oppurtunity to buy a Bolex RX5 for AU$900 (US$690) in good condition.

I know there are many HD models coming out soon so I'm a bit worried whether this will affect the Bolex price & viability. Without starting this thread into yet another film vs digital "mass-debate" is it still wise to purchase a Bolex at this price?

I paid considerably for a Rex4 body last summer, well it was a good dealer w/ guarantee...

It IS apples & oranges as you imply.

Bolex prices are inflated IMO - the cameras, like ANY straight 16 gear (S16 mods notwithstanding) really have little or no *commercial* value - what personal value is really subjective. With the everyone's a filmmaker mindset these days, Bolexi are currently desirable but...

Depends on the trends, the previous Bolex I owned was a Rex5 and in the mid 80's I sold it for $500 and even that was hard to get.....

-Sam

In the UK it's not unusual to find REX-5's for almost double your quote (In top notch condition that is) Personally if I really wanted the camera I would buy it without a thought at the price you quoted if I felt positive about it's condition!

Olly

PS - tick tock tick tock tick tock........ ;)

Works out to 1600 US for the body. On the high side, but it was the right thing at the right time.

I took it back to the dealer after a test, "let's get this one perfect"

Served me well in SE Asia recently, NO issues.

-Sam