Bauer A512 Vs. Beaulieu 6008S

dee

Hi,

I'm looking at a Bauer A512 and a beaulieu 6008S. which one should I get? what's the pros and the cons? I know both have the same shutter speed 12-54fps (beauleu goes to 4fps, but i don't want it anyway) how about it's image performance compared? shutter angles? or even lens quality and interchangability?

Price is out of the question... Beaulieu is like 3 times the bauer.. but is the quality 3 times better as well?

I know there are some people here that know every little detail about every camera :D ...

Thank you very much!!!!

Dee :D

Hi,

I'm looking at a Bauer A512 and a beaulieu 6008S. which one should I get? what's the pros and the cons? I know both have the same shutter speed 12-54fps (beauleu goes to 4fps, but i don't want it anyway) how about it's image performance compared? shutter angles? or even lens quality and interchangability?

Price is out of the question... Beaulieu is like 3 times the bauer.. but is the quality 3 times better as well?

I know there are some people here that know every little detail about every camera :D ...

Thank you very much!!!!

Dee :D

Is this your first camera? the 6008s is a great camera, the 6008pro even has crystal-sync, but the Bauer is a good camera to consider. And it has a really neat matte-box that should come with it. But I doubt the 6008s is worth three times more than the A512. Both cameras have a variable shutter which produces very crisp images (unlike the blurry ones from a XL shutter) and both have many options. The beaulieu has both forward and reverse operation. The 6008s has a C mount and you can find a Angenieux lens for cheap on ebay.

here are some links:

http://super8wiki.com/index.php/Beaulieu_6008_S

http://super8wiki.com/index.php/Bauer_A_512_Profiset

Edited by alexfan90

I own a 6008 an have compared it to various other cams like the Nizo and else. I finde the viewfinders picture much superior to th other cameras and since this is on what you rely on the more expense is worth spending the money.

Markus

Hi,

thanks guys..

i just got outbided on ebay for the beaulieu..

sometimes i just hate ebay...

and yes.. this will be my first camera..

dee, there was a member on another super8 forum who was selling a A512 recently and cheap too. If you would like, I can see if he still has it..

I myself was interested in buying it, but I decided I would spend a little more and get something that can read 64asa.

The main selling point on the Bauer is the Angenieux 6-90mm lens, which is very good. It isn't a very rugged camera - mine is down for the count at the moment due to a broken little plastic thingy that hold the battery pack in place. Also know that the later Bauers such as the S715XL only accept 40 and 160ASA film; with the demise of Kodachrome the only color stock available will be Ektachrome 64T, which will overexpose 2/3 stop on this camera. You might prefer the Nikon R10 that's on eBay right now.

• Premium Member
The main selling point on the Bauer is the Angenieux 6-90mm lens, which is very good. It isn't a very rugged camera - mine is down for the count at the moment due to a broken little plastic thingy that hold the battery pack in place. Also know that the later Bauers such as the S715XL only accept 40 and 160ASA film; with the demise of Kodachrome the only color stock available will be Ektachrome 64T, which will overexpose 2/3 stop on this camera. You might prefer the Nikon R10 that's on eBay right now.

Well it does have manual exposure override, so I wouldn't consider that a deal breaker.

You say in your initial post that the price for the Beaulieu is out of the question, so I'm not sure why you're asking which camera to get, when you've already made up your mind it's too much!

Personally, I think the Beaulieu's are way over-rrated. They're nice, but they're not as nice as the prices they fetch, mostly because Pro8mm has hyped them up so much.

Get a good Nizo, Nikon or Canon.

(There are lots of posts in the archives going into detail on which are the best cameras. )

MP