Projector Recommendation?

Josh Bass

I've done the research, and so far as I can tell, until I'm ready to edit (nonlinear-ly), viewing my "dailies" on Super8 is most cheaply done with a projector (I was gonna get everything I shot transferred to video, but that just isn't cheap, and I don't see the point right now, as I'm sure everything I shoot for a while will come out sucky).

So. . .can someone recommend a projector: make/model?

I guess variable speeds would be nice, but not necessary. Don't need a five bladed shutter either, just something simple.

Also, I've read that older projectors are larger and more difficult to deal with, while the "newer" ones are somewhat smaller and easier to use. If you guys could recommend a smaller less difficult one, that'd be swell.

Thanks.

Look out for a noris 110,332,342 and 410 machines, superb projectors, very underated, picked up a stereo 342 machine for just 60 euros. Agfa LS1 and LS2 projectors are reliable and tend to be overlooked too ( make sure drive belt is ok before purchase). Eumig 810d hqs ( dual guage ), built like a tank, sometimes run slow, easy repair by cleaning rubber disk thingy inside projector. Bauer T82,T183,T502,T525,T610 superb projectors, amazingly quiet in operation, expensive though. Elmo ST160 and ST180, tend to be pricey too. Dont forget your camera lens is only as good as your projector lens. Quality projector lenses on noris and bauer machines are schneider f1.1 11-30, schneider f1.3 12-30. Andy

Just be sure not to project negative film! :o A projector will ruin it!

As for me, I prefer Elmo projectors. The St 180 is reliable and cheap. The stock lens included with this projector is just fine.

Only problem is low end transfer places snatched most of them up for a cheap, reliable way to transfer super 8 (because of being able to set it to 20fps using the vari speed).

Edited by John Hyde