Okay,

I wanted to go at this school here in Quebec...

ECTQ ( It's in french... )

First it was 7000$ for 9 months wich I thought was alot but I didnt really mind cause I really want to study in film making...

But now its 9000$ ! I don't know anymore if I want to go anymore

How can a 19 years old dude pay 9000$ ? It as no sense I think

But its the only school I can go cause I have an equivalent diploma of my secondary 5 and with this I can't go to university...

So is 9000$ alot for 9 months ?

It would be good if someone who can read french take a look at it and tell me what they think...

Cause It's kinda the only place I can study in flm-making

Thanks

B)

Come to Ireland, we get some or all of our fees paid to attend college here! 750 Euro registration fee, each year, then the majority of the rest is paid by the college, including film stock, lab, TK, etc. We pay for any extra stuff, more stock, if we want, any props or sets we may require, books, obviously. That's all very simplified, and it's an ongoing bain in the side of our government, but in the context, it might be worth your while checking out colleges in Europe, here, or the UK, you may get in on a scolarship etc. look at www.education.ie, or email them at info@education.gov.ie they may be able to help you regarding studying in Ireland. Or look at the UK colleges; St Martins College, London, is supposed to be good, but no idea if they've a film course, or there's Briminghaam college/unniversity. I personnally couldn't pay 7200 Euro per year, but what price education?

Hope this is some help

Regards,

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

This is a bit late, but anyway...

If university is not an option, this may be worth looking into. The fee is not unreasonable if the school offers a quality programme. I'd be worried if the fee was less. The website is sincere and there is biographical information on each of the teachers. There aren't any big names, but that isn't necessarily important. The school claims to have partnership arrangements with a number of legitimate corporations, Kodak among them, although it is unclear what this means. It could be nothing more than student discounts on equipment rental and film purchases.

I'd want to look further into a few things. The school has been in operation for only 18 months. Is it financially stable (this is important, because if they close, you could be out a lot of money)? Is the programme stable? While I like the fact that the school discloses what kinds of equipment it has, it seems to be a bit light on types of equipment and it is unclear how much equipment there is in relation to the number of students. The number of students is an important issue in itself. How many are there? What does the physical facility look like and what condition is it in?

I wouldn't jump on board, but I wouldn't dismiss this out of hand either. You need more information. The Quebec City and Montreal arts communities are tight enough that it should be pretty easy to get more information on both the school and the people who teach there, and the school should be willing to refer you to former students who can tell you what they think of the programme. Consider dropping into the film department at Laval University. The people there should know something about this school, and about the people who run it.

Because the school is fairly new, I would NOT pay them $9000 up front. I would insist on paying in installments. That way, if they go under, you are protected. It isn't like they are inundated with applicants, given that the website says that there are spaces available for classes starting Sept. 6, so an installment arrangement should be acceptable. If they refused to consider installment payments, I would consider it a very bad sign.

Bonne chance.

P.S. Would your academic qualifications get you into a CEGEP? If so, have you determined whether any of them offer programmes that would fit with what you want to accomplish? It would be cheaper, and the programme would be clear and properly staffed and resourced.