My short film noir film "The Magician"

Ckulakov

Dear filmmakers,

During May 05, I shot a totally unplanned (no script) and spontaneous shoot. It started out just as a practice lighting setup and progressed into a plot from a dream I had.

STORY LINE:

A 1950's Los Angeles magician takes a unexpected leap into the future in this suspence style, film noir film.

"THE MAGICIAN"

http://oneweb.utc.edu/~nsf557/magic/magic.mov

(copy and paste this link, oh and dont mind the warning sign it was a stupid mistake.)

- :( Sorry for the compressed horible quality but I really whant you to tell me what you think

SPECS:

I shot using a 400 dollar DV camea that let me control exposure, shutter, focus and zoom. I used 250watt and 500 watt photofloods for lighting and also used a diffusion frame as a very soft fill light.

Thanks

Thanks. Thats a big suprise because I thoght people would think its not that good.

KEEP ON POSTING!!!

IM SORRY ABOUT THE QUALITY AND KEEP WATCHING TILL THE END.

THERE IS A BIG SUPRISE IN THE END

Thanks

Oh and if you can not read what the paper sais closer to the end of the movie it sais:

- " The future is closer than you think " -

Edited by Ckulakov

Guest Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

On the scene where the camera pulls into the piece of paper with writing on, I can't actually see what it says, with the compression. I'm guessing that's a key point to the story. Without knowing that part, I didn't exactly get the storyline.

Either way it looks good, about the only thing I found was that on the scene where he sits down at the desk and turns on the lamp, the lamp looks over exposed. Perhaps a bit more power with the fill lights or something...

Other than that, nice one! One part like I really liked is when he's sitting down counting the money, that dutch angle really works well. Plus the background has a bit of fill, unlike most films where you just see a load of blank space behind the character.

Edited by Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

Guest Tina Coggins

I have to admit, I didn't see the piece of paper, and didn't really 'get' the story, other than what I might be able to read into it. I did enjoy the card tricks, as it brought me back to when my son was an adolescent, and he used to spend hours learning card shuffling and manipulation, and became quite good at it. I, too, thought you gave the film a good 50's look.

So, what does the piece of paper say? :P

Thanks for the advice.

The basic story that I tried to show to the viewers is that a magician living in the 1950' shadowy and stark world figures out how to enter into the bright colorful world of the 21st century and he walks into the future just like the note said " The future is closer than you think"

Please, KEEP ON POSTING !!! What about the editing, music, and SFX. Oh and that moon i shot it myself. Any advice will help, and watch till the end.

Thanks

Oh, and I edited using iMovie so I couldnt do to much color-correction.

I watched till the end and that usually doesn't happen... I love Miles's music another reason. There were some great shots in there. You finished the project which is more than can be said for 90% of film makers out there. You didn't get caught up in equipment worries. You had a story and you edited it. So each project takes you a little closer to getting better. So you are one step closer.

My issues - some of the shot layouts were great and really worked whereas others were a little lazy - and the difference showed.

But my biggest issue was with the telling of the story. I didn't care for the character. His actions seemed self indulgent. Why does he do things, what is missing in his life, what will go wrong if it doesn't happen - etc

But the fact that you did it, edited it and shot it for love and not money puts you in the right direction

Congratulations!

Rolfe

I watched till the end and that usually doesn't happen... I love Miles's music another reason. There were some great shots in there. You finished the project which is more than can be said for 90% of film makers out there. You didn't get caught up in equipment worries. You had a story and you edited it. So each project takes you a little closer to getting better. So you are one step closer.

My issues - some of the shot layouts were great and really worked whereas others were a little lazy - and the difference showed.

But my biggest issue was with the telling of the story. I didn't care for the character. His actions seemed self indulgent. Why does he do things, what is missing in his life, what will go wrong if it doesn't happen - etc

But the fact that you did it, edited it and shot it for love and not money puts you in the right direction

Congratulations!

Rolfe

Rolfe, Thanks allot for the advice. You gave back the best feedback. I agree that the story and character wherent really developed.

What shot layout did you like and what shot layouts didnt work out. Please be specific.

Thanks

Edited by Ckulakov