First Project, Finished

Guest Nathan Donnelly

Guest Nathan Donnelly

Hey, everybody. My client just walked out of the studio with his new DVDs in hand, well pleased with the results of his new music video. He gave me the all clear to show it on the internet, so I'm gonna do just that right here.

I'd like some critique, if you don't mind. Be honest, I've got lots of learnin' to do anyways.

SMP - This Perfect Day

It's a 25Mb mp4 file, so warm up yer QuickTime.

Specs:

shot on miniDV (XL2)

edited on Final Cut Pro 4

no budget :ph34r:

no steadicam :D

lit by: the sun, a few cheap tungstens, and some old stage lights :blink: LOL

Thanks in advance.

Nathan,

I think it looks really good, and very professional. The pacing/editing is good, and the cinematography is nice.

If I had to pick something I would change... There's one outdoor scene, where the lead singer is running, shot from above, that is a little blown out. The other shots in that series are lower contrast and pretty consistent. I'm not sure what look you were going for, but the discrepancy between those shots stood out a little for me. The very last scene, I would like to see a little more punchy, maybe more light bounced onto the woman from the window to make it more dramatic. The indoor shots of the band are great, as is the text overlay on the singer's face.

All in all, I think you did a great job. Thanks for sharing your work.

Guest Nathan Donnelly

Thanks, Mike! I appreciate the reply. :)

If I had to pick something I would change... There's one outdoor scene, where the lead singer is running, shot from above, that is a little blown out.

Ah, that was probably the shot next to the City Hall. Yep. I really liked the shot, but couldn't do pickups without going through some red tape, so it got tweaked all to hell in post.