Bell & Howell 70dr Lenses

Roy Brown

I have two 70dr's one modified with a 400ft mag and electric motor. I have 5 viewfinders but only a couple lenses and I doubt they are much good (Canon 50mm tv lens). I have a couple of c-mount lenses from a non-reflex Bolex, will they work OK? Will any C-Mount work as long as it screws all the way in? I noticed a 75mm Switar hits the center turrent screw.

I am testing both cameras for auction and want to make sure I am selling a decent package.

Thanks Roy

I have 5 viewfinders but only a couple lenses and I doubt they are much good (Canon 50mm tv lens). I have a couple of c-mount lenses from a non-reflex Bolex, will they work OK? Will any C-Mount work as long as it screws all the way in? I noticed a 75mm Switar hits the center turrent screw.

I've never had much luck with putting a TV lens of any kind on a film camera.Other folks have and have no complaints,but they always look soft to me.Switars were generally made for Bolexes but if it came off of a non reflex.it should be OK in theory,though if it's hitting the center turret screw,that doesn't sound good.If it's not going all the way in,it's not hitting the right focal plane.

As fars as C mounts go,they all should work in theory,unless they are Rex C mounts in which they're calibrated for Bolex Rex cameras.

The only way you can really tell is by testing.

Marty

Actually, the Rex C-mount lens issue is in reverse, that the Rex could not take normal C-mount lenses for fear of damaging the prism. But you can take Rex lenses and use them on other cameras. (I run one on my Keystone, for example, along with a Wollenstock and even a TV C-mount lens for that 'soft' look you describe quite well) if you're hitting the screw, the lens would be a bad idea. A lens should go in cleanly, and snug.

• 1 year later...
I have two 70dr's one modified with a 400ft mag and electric motor.  I have 5 viewfinders but only a couple lenses and I doubt they are much good (Canon 50mm tv lens). I have a couple of c-mount lenses from a non-reflex Bolex, will they work OK?  Will any C-Mount work as long as it screws all the way in?  I noticed a 75mm Switar hits the center turrent screw.

I am testing both cameras for auction and want to make sure I am selling a decent package.

Thanks Roy

................................................................................

................................................................................

Hi , I have A 70 DR, I wish to have modified , I have the 400' mag but not the electric motor. Where could I get this done ? I also have a Chadwick & Helmuth Pulse Camera # 370 need info. on this unit. Thank you Bill

Roy Brown - the standard lenses shipped on late vintage Filmo cameras were the Angenieux 15 / 25 / 50 set, or something comparable. These lenses were silver in color and if in decent shape are fine c-mount lenses. The shorter RX lenses (less than 50mm) were designed to compensate for the reflex prism of the Bolex camera, and probably won't focus correctly on a Filmo; you'd wind up with noticable spherical aberration, especially on the shorter lenses.

William Rizzo - don't bother modifying a 70DR, the conversion cost would be more than the value of the camera. Find a 70HL / HR / KRM on eBay for about $100 and you'll be set.

Edited by Robert Hughes