Quoting a rate

Brad Grimmett

• Premium Member

I have an interesting job opportunity but I'm unsure how much to quote because it's not a "normal" job for me. I would be travelling with a band on tour in Europe for about two months, shooting behind the scenes type video for them for future projects such as a DVD. I really have no past work experience that is similar to this to draw from in quoting a rate. It would basically entail me being available to shoot at all times of the day, so some days will be very long for me, and others will be relatively easy. I don't want to underbid or overbid and I'm hoping some people on this forum will have some thoughts on what a correct quote might be. I may be sub-renting a camera and billing for it, but for now I'm really just worried about labor.

While I'm at it.....what is the going rate for a dvx100 or HDV package? We'll probably shoot on one of these cameras or something similar.

Thanks,

Well you should estimate that you'll work 10hr. days...

Even if you don't on these type of gigs you might shoot one day for 4hr.

And the next for 16hr. eventually it'll even out...

You should then charge your standard 10hr. a day rate

And if you're feeling nice give them a discount or something...

You should also remember to charge a per-diem...

Music types don't always remember they got to feed you or stuff like

(Though they always get you booze and drugs :) )

So charge something for your daily expenses...

Besides that a DVX100 or XL2 camera package usually runs for $300 a day

You can probably get one for under $1000 a week

And you can probably make a deal with someone who owns one from much less.

& also don't forget about getting a good mic for sound...

Maybe even a good sound guy--which would be much better. :)

& always remember the little details that's what always burns you...

Just be nitpicky for a couple of days and figure everything you'll need.

Anyways

Good Luck

• Premium Member

Thanks for the response Rik. Yeah, per diem and hotel etc. will be part of the deal. It's a very large crew and they all get this stuff already, so it shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for the info on camera rates. I'm hoping to get one from an individual for the very reason you mentioned.

I'm hoping a few people will list some hard numbers of what they would quote if offered this job. I have a number that I think is in the correct range, but I'd like to hear what others on this forum think.

Thanks,

If it is a long time rent out for the DV cam you might as well consider to buy one and sell it after the gig. Make some extra out of that. If the weekly rental rate estimates 1000 USD, jeez, buy one! In Europe you would probably not pay more than half this rate.

Anyway, I would estimate a "normal" day and charge like what you would get if you´d work on daily basis. This already would be a good deal, since even if you work "just" 4 hours you will be there hanging around and not be able to do what you like. The rebate is not charging overtime. My clients live with that and are happy. In the end it´ll be a good experience for the upcoming jobs and you might put your footprints into the heaven of musicvideo cinematographers. Even if it turns out not being the right job. It´s a paid experience, so don´t ever look back.