one rack?

• Premium Member
whats the difference between one rack and skip bleach? does anyone have any images online they can show me?

thanks.

I haven't heard the term "one rack" before, but since "racks" are the devices that the film is wound in a helical path on while transporting through a processing machine, it sounds like your lab is reducing the time in the bleach by threading the film on only one rack of their bleach. Unfortunately, just shortening the bleach time can lead to non-uniformity, since diffusion of the bleach into the film to convert silver back to silver halide is not perfectly uniform, and the process is designed to run "to completion" with full bleaching. Some labs use a B&W developer after the bleach to achieve partial silver retention as it tends to be more controllable.

Run a test with your lab to be sure you get results that are satifactory for your production.

I haven't heard the term "one rack" before, but since "racks" are the devices that the film is wound in a helical path on while transporting through a processing machine, it sounds like your lab is reducing the time in the bleach by threading the film on only one rack of their bleach.  Unfortunately, just shortening the bleach time can lead to non-uniformity, since diffusion of the bleach into the film to convert silver back to silver halide is not perfectly uniform, and the process is designed to run "to completion" with full bleaching.  Some labs use a B&W developer after the bleach to achieve partial silver retention as it tends to be more controllable.

Run a test with your lab to be sure you get results that are satifactory for your production.

welll...i loaded for a DP, and had me put one rack on the camera reports and what not. he told me its a form of skip bleach or something. im not tottally sure. but he practicly said the same thing, just one rack or something. sorry im confusing myself. ha. thanks though.