Weight of Film?

Guest Stephen Murphy

Guest coolbreeze

Maybe John P would know the answer...

Can anyone tell me how much a 1000ft roll of 35mm film weighs? (not including the can?)

Sincerely,

• Premium Member
35mm negative film weighs just over 2g per foot.

So your 1,000 ft roll would be a bit more than 2kg.  Add about 20g or 30g for the core.

My usual "rule of thumb" is about 5 pounds per 1000 feet for film, core and can. The Kodak catalog says about 30 pounds for a case of five 1000-foot rolls, including case:

http://www.kodak.com/US/plugins/acrobat/en...g/contact04.pdf (Shipping weight, page 6)

My usual "rule of thumb" is about 5 pounds per 1000 feet for film, core and can.
Sorry . . . .I forgot those quaint old-fashioned units you use - pounds :rolleyes:

2 kilograms is 4.4 pounds. Add in about 30g (an ounce) for the core, half a pound for the can, and we're close to five pounds.

I think processed negative is a little lighter (judging by the weight of the silver that comes out :D )

• Premium Member
Sorry . . . .I forgot those quaint old-fashioned units you use - pounds :rolleyes:

Almost everyone educated in technology would favor using International (Metric) units of measurement, including myself. But it's an argument I always lose with my wife, who evidently represents the prevailing view in the USA. ;)

But it's an argument I always lose with my wife
John, please thank your wife for preserving a little bit of colour and variety in the otherwise bland and abstract world of SI units.

By the way, does she have a preference for foot lamberts, candelas per square metre, nits or apostilbs when it comes to screen brightness? :blink:

• Premium Member
John, please thank your wife for preserving a little bit of colour and variety in the otherwise bland and abstract world of SI units.

By the way, does she have a preference for foot lamberts, candelas per square metre, nits or apostilbs when it comes to screen brightness?  :blink:

Footlamberts, of course. We only use "standard" candles, and my foot is almost exactly a foot long, so I can measure the distance to the screen. :P