After doing a few projects - shorts and documentaries in MiniDV with DVX-100, from shooting all the way to authoring the DVD, I'm embarking on a Super 8mm Short. This is my first real attempt at S8 or film of any kind - goal is to understand the film process more and then do a short 16mm with my old Eclair which I haven't used yet - just got a short time ago.

Main concern is accurate lighting with my Sekonic 358 and Minolta F spotmaster and 8mm. I've heard a number of issues that exposure settings for S8 are different than 16 or 35. Is this due to the small size or the stocks available in S8? I'll be shooting the 7274 equivalent - 200T in S8- also some reversal BW stocks 7276 and 7278 (perhaps).

I'll shoot S8, telecine to miniDV(??), and edit with my NLE, etc etc and output to DVD. I've got decent set of gear - lights, sound, post, etc, but any advice on lighting and exposure settings for S8 would be helpful. Camera is a Nikon R-10 and I'll probably be using the max 160 degree shutter angle.

Also, in using the Sekonic 358 in cinimatography mode, the manual states to set the FPS and that the meter is based on 180 degree shutter. So for 160 shutter on the camera you would compensate by a -1/3 ISO - so for 200 ISO rating I would set the meter for 160 - is this correct?

And the setting is solely based on fps and 180 degree shutter? So for example on my Eclair 16 with 180 shutter I would simply put in 24 fps - not 48 for the 1/48th of a second exposure time? Right?

Thanks a lot

Tom Fitzsimmons

The stocks are slightly different, the size is different, the exposure index is different, the shutter is different. But this should be of little concern for you. You want to know why? Because almost all Super8 cameras have a built-in light meter already calibrated for Super8's demands. But yes, your calcs are right, for the most part. With Super8 being such a large-grain stock, the color saturation is best when it is slightly under-exposed.

And you know, you can get 200T in Super8, Kodak sells it. Pro8mm also supplies the whole range of Vision (and soon Vision2) line in Super8 as well. I'm a big Kodachrome and B&W fan myself. I just finished a music video shoot done in a combination of the both. The results are quite good with the film stock.

The main issue with most Super8 production is that shadows are much more sharp with Super8, due to the heavier grain. This can be compensated with better attention to lighting than you would with a normal 16mm film. It is more difficult to push Super8 film than otherwise, but not impossible. (I've pushed Tri-X to over 1000ASA before) Just pay more attention to lighting than you would otherwise is the best advice I can give.

Thanks for info! Interesting on the underexposure for better color saturation. Yes, I could and will use the internal camera light meter to a degree, but I'm working on the lighting procedure using external meters that will be used on other formats - it's a learning procedure - even though there is not a direct translation between 8 and 16mm. That's the factor I'm trying figure out.

I suppose I could compare the intenal 8mm meter and external meters with a evenly lit broad area and see what difference the readings give.

I've checked out Pro8 with their cut up film stocks and thats a good option, except for a bit pricey. I get 7274 for $15 minus processing compared to $35 with processing from Pro8. What's a typical processing cost? Wow, yes I haven't sent one in yet!! :huh:

Tom

Thanks for info! Interesting on the underexposure for better color saturation. Yes, I could and will use the internal camera light meter to a degree, but I'm working on the lighting procedure using external meters that will be used on other formats - it's a learning procedure - even though there is not a direct translation between 8 and 16mm. That's the factor I'm trying figure out.

I suppose I could compare the intenal 8mm meter and external meters with a evenly lit broad area and see what difference the readings give.

I've checked out Pro8 with their cut up film stocks and thats a good option, except for a bit pricey. I get 7274 for $15 minus processing compared to $35 with processing from Pro8. What's a typical processing cost? Wow, yes I haven't sent one in yet!! :huh:

Tom

Normally I buy Kodachrome, which includes processing. For Vision, I've never shot with it, so I do not know the processing cost. With most other stocks, it is $10 a roll. Pro8mm makes its own film (cut down from Kodak stock) hence the higher prices. If you need 500T, they have it. Altho, Kodak's mentioned releasing Vision 500T for Super8 as well.