Are Lomos a bad choice?

Adam Paul

I think we're talking about different generations of lens's here: the Lomo's I have are from the 60s, Zeiss Superspeeds and Standards, at least the ones I've run across, are from the late 70s/early 80s. A pretty big change in Lens design in those two decades, I think, not the least of which was switching over from the body mounting gearing (with the two flaps that came out to hold the barel of the lens) to gears on the the barrel of the lens itself for follow focus (was this introduced by Panavision with the GII?)

Optically, I'm very pleased with my Lomo's, but I rented Speed Panchro's (S2, with an S3 18mm) for a music video recently, and they looked decidedly crisper than my Lomo's, even though they are of roughly the same period of history. Unforutnately, I also didn't have all the right gear to hook up a follow focus system for them.

I'm not saying that Lomo doesn't make some beautiful images, but much the way there is a rumored "Storaro" cabinet at Technovision Rome, I bet there is a "Yusov" cabinet at Mosfilm with all the best Lomo's in it.

Additionally, as my lens's only open to 2.8, I'm betting they aren't the top of the line for the period.

I love them, they're mine, I'm shooting with them the next two saturdays and sure the footage will be gourgeous, but when the budget allows and I need them, I get those Yellow S4s.

chuck haine

Edited by charleshaine

• Premium Member
In my own case, I want to know whether a lens designed for super 16 is optically superior, in terms of resolution, than a lens designed for 35mm.  I have in fact heard that asserted (on cinematography.net), and it would seem to follow from what Adam is saying, but it is hard to believe given that it would seem to suggest that super 16 lenses should command a premium over 35mm lenses.

Hi,

Ideally a lens for super 16 needs be sharper than a lens for 35mm. If you blow up the image on the screen to the same size, the super 16 lens must resolve more as its a larger blow up. This is the reason that the Zeiss DigiPrimes are so expensive, they have to be able to resolve down to 1 pixel to get the most out of the digital format.

Stephen

• Premium Member
but much the way there is a rumored "Storaro" cabinet at Technovision Rome, I bet there is a "Yusov" cabinet at Mosfilm with all the best Lomo's in it.

The Storaro cupboard does exist actually. I know one person who went through a very depressing experience comparing one of his lenses to one of Storaro's.

• Premium Member

Every lens is an individual. I remember some years ago on a short (I was AC back then) shot with Lomo's newest anamorphic lenses - the round ones. There was one particular 50mm that blew the DP and the director away with it's sharpness (we saw projected dailies). It's easily the sharpest anamorphic lens that particular DP has seen and he's used every kind since then. He still raves about it and keeps its serial number handy.

But sharpness isn't always what one wants. I find myself wanting less sharpness and less contrast all the time - that's why I love the old Zeiss T2.1's and the Cooke's. The Zeiss T1.3's kinda fall apart below T2, but that's when I personally think they start to look good!!

I'm dying to use the old Schneider Xenons I once tested, but every production gets the heebie jeebies when you suggest using 50 year old lenses and you end up with soulless Ultra Primes and

'fix-it-in-telecine' instead.

Sorry, that eBay item was a lens mount, not the camera mount. Saw a camera mount there a few days ago and thought it was the same.

Keep watching this category

ebay Movie equipment listings

and you'll be rewarded!    ;)

I do often, and I'll keep an eye peeled. No big rush for now, I'm using a Pentax mount till I get the camera systems debugged.

Some tutorials and FAQ about lenses can be found here:

http://www.cs.uu.nl/wais/html/na-dir/rec-p...lenses/faq.html

http://www.photo.net/learn/optics/lensTutorial

Pay some attention to the circle of confusion issues and how it relates to the image size and final magnification. Quoting a paragraph from one of the articles:

"...If the circle of confusion is small enough, given the magnification in printing or projection, the optical quality throughout the system, etc., the image will appear to be sharp. Although there is no one diameter that marks the boundary between fuzzy and clear, .03 mm is generally used in 35mm work as the diameter of the acceptable circle of confusion. (I arrived at this by observing the depth of field scales or charts on/with a number of lenses from Nikon, Pentax, Sigma, and Zeiss. All but the Zeiss lens came out around .03mm. The Zeiss lens appeared to be based on .025 mm.)...."

The figures are for 35mm, 24x36mm coverage. Based on these try to work out the standards required or acceptable for 35mm movie, 16mm, 2/3", 1/3" formats.

Guest david west

http://www.commiecam.com/

http://www.smartgroups.com/group/group.cfm?gid=2628578

that should get you to the konvas users group....

there has been a lot of discussion there about the lenses, and you can talk to a lot of users first hand....

i have a set of lomos that i am going to use in a mini35 type device with a canon xl1s... i might also try to make a straight adapter too....

i have made some adapters for the arri-s and am finishing my adapter for the arri bayo to canon xl1........

i have spent more time the last year making adapters than filming.....

arrrrgh....

anyway, i hope your questions are answered in the above links...

Guest david west

unfortunately i dont have the fastest....

mine are all f2.

they were all cheap enough that i could experiment with them... i just havent gotten to it yet.

i bought them individually on ebay.

were i to do it over, i would buy a camera and lenses together... much better deal...

Camera with TWO sets of lenses

i have no interest in rafcamera, but he seems to have a decent rep in the Konvas group...

Yeah, but what do you do with the camera then? Unless you shot 35mm as well, buying the camera for the lenses only doesn't seem pratical. Besides, the camera you post the link to is way over priced. Even with 2 sets of lenses . I just saw a Konvas with 5 lenses sell for under $900 and a konvas body only for $400 a week ago on Ebay.

What Lomos did you get and how much did you pay?

Edited by Michael Maier

Guest david west
Yeah, but what do you do with the camera then? Unless you shot 35mm as well, buying the camera for the lenses only doesn't seem pratical. Besides, the camera you post the link to is way over priced. Even with 2 sets of lenses . I just saw a Konvas with 5 lenses sell for under $900  and a konvas body only for $400 a week ago on Ebay.

What Lomos did you get and how much did you pay?

i paid between 80 and 150 for them...... lomo okc .... the faster lenses are about double that...

i was disappointed in one that one arrived with missing screws. the seller claimed to be in the USA. i had to send the money to canada, and it arrived from russia....and the seller would not make it good....

the Konvas group has a LOT to say about good experiences from some sellers and bad from others....

i got these more to play with on an xl1s.....

if i were going to get a second chance i would get the fastest lenses i could find from the dealer with the best reputation. there are some people that have purchased great lenses, but the longer you wait the more the good stuff is selling of i believe...

Guest david west
...  and a konvas body only for $400 a week ago on Ebay.

i think that there was a BRAND NEW body that recently was around 800-900 or so....

that would be the best way to go if it pops up again....

and yes, after reading your post, im sure that there are much better deals out there..... i mainly posted that link because i think that that is one of the sellers with a very good rep..... BUT, i personally would check out the Konvas forum before i bought from anyone again....

i was disappointed in one that one arrived with missing screws.  the seller claimed to be in the USA.  i had to send the  money to canada, and it arrived from russia....and the seller would not make it good....

I'm sorry about that. What's his ebay name? So we won't buy from him.