Vision2 500T outdoors

Brian Rose

All,

I decided to try some Vision2 500T (for a film I am doing) outdoors, without the 85 warmer, to see how it would look. Is this something that, if I decide it does not look right for what I want, I can correct in post, (I have premiere Pro, and I can do all sorts of corrections) Thanks.

BR

You can probably get an acceptable image by correcting it in post, but a better solution might be to shoot with the 85 and get the cool look you want by using the color correction tools in post. That way you start with a clean image and have more control over the look later (particularly in skin tones). Film is especially sensitive to UV light, so tungsten balanced film may go too far in the blue direction if shot uncorrected. Another option is to use partial correction. I just shot a film where I shot the gray card with the 85 and then took off the 85 and shot the scene with the LLD. You get partial color correction and filter out the UV light, but still get a cooler look. At least that's the theory. Unfortunately the lab timed out the blue in the dailies anyway.

-Josh Silfen

All,

I decided to try some Vision2 500T (for a film I am doing) outdoors, without the 85 warmer, to see how it would look.  Is this something that, if I decide it does not look right for what I want, I can correct in post, (I have premiere Pro, and I can do all sorts of corrections)  Thanks.

BR

• Premium Member
All,

I decided to try some Vision2 500T (for a film I am doing) outdoors, without the 85 warmer, to see how it would look.  Is this something that, if I decide it does not look right for what I want, I can correct in post, (I have premiere Pro, and I can do all sorts of corrections)  Thanks.

BR

If you are going to "play in post" with color, its often best to start out with a well exposed negative. In other words, use the 85.

Shooting in daylight without the 85 may give you contrast mismatch, especially if you underexpose. So it will be more difficult to get back to "normal" if you change your mind.

As I understand it, you will be better off doing any post color correction during your film to tape transfer. Even though it is "digital", as you use more effects in premiere or final cut, you will be adding artifacts and other things that the software creates in your image.

What format are you working with?

Perhaps someone who knows more than I do about this can make a comment.

Best

Tim