Student Green/Blue screen test

stephen lamb

Hi all,

I am a studend doing a small green/blue screen test on my own. I have access to a Super16 camera, so i have to do it on 16mm film. As of right now I am thinking about Kodak EXR 100T, or if i think i can get enough light in the studio, using Kodak EXR 50D (that one is going to be TOUGH though) I know kodak makes a SFX 200 film, which i would love to get my hands on, but they only make it for 35 mm. Does anyone know of either some incredible way for me to get my hands a SUPER CHEAP 35 mm rental, (not likely, but gotta dream dream dream right?) or does anyone make a 16mm roll of the SFX 200T film? It's a short test, so im only shooting a few hundred feet of film max, this test is all about can i do it and make it look GOOD? What do you guys think? Any suggestions? Thanks for your help,

Steve

• Premium Member
Hi all,

I am a studend doing a small green/blue screen test on my own.  I have access to a Super16 camera, so i have to do it on 16mm film.  As of right now I am thinking about Kodak EXR 100T, or if i think i can get enough light in the studio, using Kodak EXR 50D (that one is going to be TOUGH though)  I know kodak makes a SFX 200 film, which i would love to get my hands on, but they only make it for 35 mm.  Does anyone know of either some incredible way for me to get my hands a SUPER CHEAP 35 mm rental, (not likely, but gotta dream dream dream right?) or does anyone make a 16mm roll of the SFX 200T film?  It's a short test, so im only shooting a few hundred feet of film max, this test is all about can i do it and make it look GOOD?  What do you guys think?  Any suggestions?  Thanks for your help,

Steve

Hi,

If using tungsten light use 7212 or 7217. SFX200 may already be discontinued as Vision 2 100T and 200T will replace it.

As you are shooting on film then domestic flourescent is not ideal. You must use a cristal motor at a flicker free speed, depending on 50/60Hz. You must use a minus green filter as film will see the green spike.

Stephen

• Premium Member
Hi all,

I am a studend doing a small green/blue screen test on my own.  I have access to a Super16 camera, so i have to do it on 16mm film.  As of right now I am thinking about Kodak EXR 100T, or if i think i can get enough light in the studio, using Kodak EXR 50D (that one is going to be TOUGH though)  I know kodak makes a SFX 200 film, which i would love to get my hands on, but they only make it for 35 mm.  Does anyone know of either some incredible way for me to get my hands a SUPER CHEAP 35 mm rental, (not likely, but gotta dream dream dream right?) or does anyone make a 16mm roll of the SFX 200T film?  It's a short test, so im only shooting a few hundred feet of film max, this test is all about can i do it and make it look GOOD?  What do you guys think?  Any suggestions?  Thanks for your help,

Steve

The SFX 200T film was discontinued over a year ago:

http://www.kodak.com/US/plugins/acrobat/en...PCN031104_Q.pdf

The Kodak VISION2 films are all optimized for green/blue screen, so a separate film is no longer necessary.

If you have enough light, I suggest a slower film like 7212, expecially for Super-16 compositing:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/products....4.4.4.10&lc=en

KODAK VISION2 100T Color Negative Film 5212 / 7212 is the sharpest color negative motion picture film. With excellent flexibility and extremely fine grain, VISION2 100T Film offers clean and crisp images. And now, 100T Film also includes superior VFX capabilities. So you can shoot all your scenes for digital compositing on the same stock.

Hey all,

thanks for the replies, looks like our school's Kodak Film catalogue is a little behind the times eh? Thanks for the input, looks like I'll be using the 100T, or if i can't get enough light, the 200T.

For Stephen Williams and anyone else who reads this. When you said minus green filter was that for the crystal speed camera, or for the lights themselves? I am going to use an Arri sr2 converted for S16. I also have access to some KinoFlo units. If i used those, would i need to gel them to match the backing? Thanks again for your help.

Steve

• Premium Member
Hey all,

thanks for the replies, looks like our school's Kodak Film catalogue is a little behind the times eh?  Thanks for the input, looks like I'll be using the 100T, or if i can't get enough light, the 200T. 

For Stephen Williams and anyone else who reads this.  When you said minus green filter was that for the crystal speed camera, or for the lights themselves?  I am going to use an Arri sr2 converted for S16.  I also have access to some KinoFlo units.  If i used those, would i need to gel them to match the backing? Thanks again for your help.

Steve

Hi,

Minus green is only needed if you are using cheap flourescent tubes.

Kino Flow lights tubes are very good color wise. Kino Flo's are also flicker free so you can shoot at any speed with the SR2.

You don't need to use colored gell on the lights for the background, assuming the background color is good.

Stephen