Super 8 vs. Regular 16

Louis

I'm shooting a short coming up that will originate on film (regular 16mm) and end up on video, but i also want to shoot some flashbacks on super 8, and I want the super 8 shots to really stand out. My question is: If I just shoot super 8 normally and regular 16 normally, how much of a difference will there really be between the two when they are seen on a regular-sized TV screen? Would I have to push-process ths super 8 to make it stand apart better, or should I just shoot it normally?

Edited by Louis

I'm shooting a short coming up that will originate on film (regular 16mm) and end up on video, but i also want to shoot some flashbacks on super 8, and I want the super 8 shots to really stand out.  My question is: If I just shoot super 8 normally and regular 16 normally, how much of a difference will there really be between the two when they are seen on a regular-sized TV screen?  Would I have to push-process ths super 8 to make it stand apart better, or should I just shoot it normally?

The difference will be noticeable, no doubt.How much of a difference is still dependent on what stocks you chose in either format,lighting conditions,processing and transfer.For example,if your 16mm is a fine grained negaive stock and your super 8 is reversal,the difference will be very jarring and noticeable.

• Premium Member

No doubt you will see the difference (Format size DOES matter!). Likewise, using a reversal stock will provide a different "look" than anything shot on color negative -- generally in the direction of higher contrast and reduced latitude for the extremes of shadow and highlight.