LED disco ball - will it work?

Anna wheeler

Hi all! I’m a writer and director interested in making the INT. of a car at night look like a Party inside. The source in the scene is a small LED multi coloured disco light placed in the car. it spins and plays an array of colours. It look great in real life but Will an LED disco ball pass the camera and LX test? Heading into a DP meeting soon and just want to be as prepared as possible! 

• Sustaining Member

Assuming it's bright enough to show up against whatever other lighting you might have, the biggest problem I'd foresee is flicker. If you look at it with your cellphone in camera mode, ideally in an otherwise dimly-lit room, do you see any horizontal flickering bands?

I wrote about the cellphone flicker detection trick once, maybe have a look here.

Otherwise, if it has really brightly-coloured LED lights in it, the colours may not look exactly the same on camera as they do in person. Blue often ends up looking purple, but that might be acceptable.

P