Shooting on a boat

Michael Shubitz

Hi Everyone

In about a month I am starting a documentary series sailing along the mediteranian. I am supposed to deliver smooth and stable shots from a boat on the sea. There are going to be several boats in the film.Big ones do not cause me trouble but I am worried from shooting on a zodiac or a small fisher boat. Is there any stabilizer or possibility to shoot from a floating boat towards the beach and get stable shots even if the sea is not quite? Until now I used in similar situations a hand held camera and balance the movement with my body. In this film I am afraid it will not be enough.

Thanks

Michael Shubitz

Israel

• Premium Member
Hi Everyone

In about a month I am starting a documentary series sailing along the mediteranian. I am supposed to deliver smooth and stable shots from a boat on the sea. There are going to be several boats in the film.Big ones do not cause me trouble but I am worried from shooting on a zodiac or a small fisher boat. Is there any stabilizer or possibility to shoot from a floating boat towards the beach and get stable shots even if the sea is not quite? Until now I used in similar situations a hand held camera and balance the movement with my body.  In this film I am afraid it will not be enough.

Thanks

Michael Shubitz

Israel

It depends if you want to have a stable horizon or stable boat deck. For the first one, you'll have to get some sort of gyro-mount like this:

http://www.imar-navigation.de/englishside/...gl/dat_blt4.htm

or a steadicam harness. If you want the boat deck to be stable (although the viewer may get seasick) you can just shoot off a tripod sitting on the deck or off the shoulder. I've done both of those options but never tried a gyro or steadicam on a boat. Shooting off-the-shoulder on a boat can be grueling as I'm sure steadicam would be, too. If you're in a speedboat going fast in rough water, the camera can inflict some serious blows to your head and shoulder!