Young Blood

Hey everyone,

I am extremely interested in becoming a cinematographer. I am 21 years old and am a film student at Cal State University of Northridge and I've always been intrigued with cameras and light. My question to all those who know more than I is where can I find a great job in my general area (San Fernando Valley) that involves working with cameras, lights, and other equipment.

I submitted an application to Panavision in Woodland Hills. Although that would be a dream come true to work there, I found that you must start in Shipping and Recieving which means driving a truck to and from Panavision to various sets around the city. I know we all have to start somewhere but driving a huge truck around all day doesn't really interest me. Plus, you have to have a perfect driving record for a period of 5 consecutive years. {Rolls Eyes} I have a ticket so that kind of X's me out of that one.

Im an extremely dedicated and hard worker and I'd love for some feedback. Hey, who knows, if any of you want to take up an apprentice, I'd consider working for free. I feel that there is so much to know and learn about this craft and I want to work with the best.

I have a resume that I'm putting together (once again) and if there are any interested cinematographers, I'd be will to work full-time, part-time, 12hour days, 1hour sessions, anything...

Once again, thanks for the time, oh....by the way, congratulations, David. As of now, I'm dreaming of the day I get my ASC tags. All the best.

Daniel

• Premium Member

Well, I started in shipping and receiving at Panavision.

I probably learned more about the equipment there that when I was working in service, and as a prep tech.

Don't like driving a truck? Tough poop, if driving a truck from Panavision to a movie set shooting Panavision gear is the worst part of your career I would say your lucky.

I think if you talk to most people that earn a living doing this here, you will find the vast majority spent plenty of time cleaning cases.

The sheer fact that you would be spending time in Panavision is great . . . as long as you go out of your way to learn. The guys over at Woodland Hills are some of the nicest people I know, so if you could get the job there I would jump at it in a moment.

Kevin Zanit

• Premium Member

Hi,

Bear in mind that driving that truck for Panavision will probably pay better wages in LA than full ACs get in London. I would walk barefoot over broken glass, or even listen to an entire Tom Jones album, to drive a truck for Panavision Woodland Hills.

Phil

I would love the opportunity as well. I'm just concerned because I recieved a ticket about a year ago and they specifically say you must have a clean driving record for 5 years. I'm just trying to keep my options open. Thanks for the replies.

Dan

• 3 weeks later...

Its a great way to start. Most of my ACs went through the program. You'll learn a TON much faster than you would any other way. I always go out of Woodland Hills and it's a great place to meet people too. In fact my marketing rep started out many many years ago there in S&R.