cross processing 7240?

Richard Tuohy

Hello all,

I am interested in trying cross processing of some 7240 VNF-1 reversal. In part I want to try this because there is no colour reversal lab in Australia and I have some stock. But I also have an idea for a film for a flower-festival in my town. I would like to intercut some positive and neg footage of colourful flowers, preferably such that it becomes increasingly abstract whether the footage is pos or neg.

7240 is a projection contrast stock, so I will get I presume a projection contrast colour neg without the orange base of ordinary neg. Is this so?

Further, should I shoot at 1/2 the asa rating (say shoot at 60 asa) for cross processing?

Further, (and for a different project) what would a print look like? I assume printed on normal (high gamma) print stock I would get a very contrasty efect?

And what about telecined?

Any advice would be welcome.

Richard

Hi,

The cross processing will certainly increase contrast and saturation, but be careful with the color of the flowers. From my experience it comes out quite green, especially on the print.

Grading cross processed reversal is quite hard, but I think it's still worth of doing it.

Obviously, it's always wise to do test.

Don't be affraid to waste few meters of that stock, before you waste everything ;)

Edited by Tomek Augustynek

• Premium Member
Hello all,

I am interested in trying cross processing of some 7240 VNF-1 reversal.  In part I want to try this because there is no colour reversal lab in Australia and I have some stock.  But I also have an idea for a film for a flower-festival in my town.  I would like to intercut some positive and neg footage of colourful flowers, preferably such that it becomes increasingly abstract whether the footage is pos or neg. 

7240 is a projection contrast stock, so I will get I presume a projection contrast colour neg without the orange base of ordinary neg.  Is this so?

Further, should I shoot at 1/2 the asa rating (say shoot at 60 asa) for cross processing?

Further, (and for a different project) what would a print look like?  I assume printed on normal (high gamma) print stock I would get a very contrasty efect?

And what about telecined?

Any advice would be welcome.

Richard

Much will depend on which process you use for the "cross" process. The developing agent in the ECN-2 process (CD-3) is lower activity than that used in the ECP-2D process (CD-2). Again, you are processing the film in a process it was not designed for, so results may be unpredictable.

ALWAYS let your lab know you are sending a film for "cross processing", as some films may have undesireable effects on the process.

7240 is a projection contrast stock, so I will get I presume a projection contrast colour neg without the orange base of ordinary neg.  Is this so?

That's about right.

Strictly (as an aside) the orange colour of negative is NOT the base (It's clear-based), but masking dyes in the emulsion designed to compensae for dye colour impurities.

You wil get a very contrasty negative image, lacking the orange bias, and therefore it will need a considerable colour correction in printing to get anything approaching a neutral balance in the print. And apart from increased contrast, you can expect increased colour sturation, though more in some colours than others.

Have a look at

Soup du jour (in AC, by Christopher Probst (page 4) for a summary of crossprocessing and the ptifalls, and

Testing the limits (by Mark Woods) for a range of cross-process options: he uses 5285 not 7240, but there are overall similarities.

Also, of course,

Atlab- Tech tips - Negs and Processing - Cross-Processing. THis is a bit messy at the moment but we are fixing it - you may need to click on one of the branch names (eg Sydney)at the top of thepage if you get an error message, and you will need to log in to the site (easy process) to read the full article.

Remember that 7240 normally requires a stabiliser in its process, which is not a normal part of the neg process: so there are no guarantees about the longevity of the processed image.