A problem with the shutter?

Roberto Villarreal

Hello,

I recently bought an Arriflex SR 1 HS camera and I have a problem with it, all the footage we have filmed looks streaky, especially in the highlights. I've been reading and testing and it seems that the problem is that the shutter is out of sync. Could someone confirm if this is the case?

The footage: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Yg76PkbBZjRnzELe1V_5Vp4QxsjyMguI/view?usp=sharing
The test: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1COSe-0k_xcQ8ReECEi-seqLDeAsrBB0Y/view?usp=sharing

I am looking for a technician who can solve this problem, I live in Mexico but apparently there is no one to fix it here. I wanted to ask if there is any technician or place in the USA that anyone would recommend me to deal with a problem like this. Thanks in advance.

Roberto,  I am not a tech,  but your test footage confirms the shutter is out of synch.  The picture should not move when the mirror is not covering the frame.  Yours is out 180 degrees, moving when not covered..  Arriflex is in Los Angeles  (still in Burbank?).  So, if you live close to LA it should not be a problem.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member

Yes it looks like a timing problem. 

You can check the timing yourself pretty simply, by marking the emulsion side of some dummy film with a wiggly line, then loading the camera and inching it by hand when the line is in the gate. Looking through the lens port you should not see the wiggly line move at all when the mirror/shutter is out of the way. If you see the line move at all, the shutter timing is out and needs adjusting. 

It’s usually a fairly straightforward procedure to reset the timing, involving setting a toothed belt correctly on to a gear, but I would have a tech check it over to make sure nothing is slipping.

Probably your best bet is Visual Products or Du-All in the US, but I’m sure there are more options others can recommend.

• Thanks 1