Process of processing

Lucita Jones

Hi,

I´ve only read about it ?many years ago and in Spanish?and now I have to do it....And I am totally confused....

Which are the steps I need to follow in order to achieve a 35mm release print from a 35mm camera negative? There is developing, preparation of the negative for transfer, off-line editing, etc. When does the negative cutting come in? How about the intermediate negative?

Is there a website that describes the laboratory processes step by step?

I'd appreciate any info.

Thanks

Lucita

• Premium Member
Hi,

I´ve only read about it ?many years ago and in Spanish?and now I have to do it....And I am totally confused....

Which are the steps I need to follow in order to achieve a 35mm release print from a 35mm camera negative? There is developing, preparation of the negative for transfer, off-line editing, etc. When does the negative cutting come in? How about the intermediate negative?

Is there a website that describes the laboratory  processes step by step?

I'd appreciate any info.

Thanks

Lucita

The Kodak website has a wealth of good information:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/support/...ainDetect.shtml

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/support/h1/dealing.shtml

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/support/h1/selecting.shtml

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/students...0.1.4.9.6&lc=en

I'm not sure if this means you would prefer a Spanish text - but if so, you might like to know that my book "Film Technology in Post Production" is now also available in Spanish - "Nuevas Tecnologias Aplicadas a la Post Produccion Cinematografica", published by Escuela de Cine y Video. Despite the Spanish title it's not really about New technology so much as about Film technology (old AND new).

If German is your thing, you can also read it as "Filmtechnik in der Postproduktion - Das Kompendium" published by Zweitausendeins.

Whichever language, it would certainly answer the questions you ask - though I'm afraid it's a book not a website :unsure:

Spanish IS my mother language (and I will always defend it!) but I feel more comfortable reading about film technique in English....Its good to know that your book is out in Spanish, is the Escuela de Cine y Video that published it from Argentina? I will look it up.

Muchas Gracias,

Lucita ;)

Thank you for the useful links.

Regarding the telecine, I can store the images I transfer on all types of video formats (Digital Beta, DVCAm, HD, or even a hard disk) What should I base my decision on? Which is the most reliable for online editing and for generating an EDL?

Thanks,

LJ

• Premium Member
Thank you for the useful links.

Regarding the telecine, I can store the images I transfer on all types of video formats (Digital Beta, DVCAm, HD, or even a hard disk) What should I base my decision on? Which is the  most reliable for online editing and for generating an EDL?

Thanks,

LJ

Lucita,

Are you going your work for theatrical release or tv?

Do you want to do special effects in it and then do a digital scanning?

Cause if it's for a theatrical release and u have some simple effects like dissolves or fades, then I would suggest you to do a telecine, with keycode, and in any format, u can do it even in DV, load it 1:1 or 2:1 in an Avid or simillar editing system.

After you finished your editing, you can send your negative for cutting, with the edited tape that would have the keycode numbers on, for the negative editor,

and then go for printing with the finished, edited negative.

Dimitrios Koukas

• Premium Member
Thank for the advice....Is it common practice to store the telecine material simultaneoulsly in two different formats, for example Digi Beta AND DVCAm?

Sometimes,

but this is only if you want for example to send the digital beta to be edited for tv series or anything like this, so you don't use the keycode, but this can't be ''one light'' telecine, it needs to be graded (colour corrected) efficiently.Another reason u may do this is that u will have 2 suites for editing and the one asks for digi-beta, while the other wants dvcam.

Dimitrios Koukas

Spanish IS my mother language (and I will always defend it!)  but I feel more comfortable reading about film technique in English....Its good to know that your book is out in Spanish, is  the Escuela de Cine y Video that published it  from Argentina? I will look it up. 

Muchas Gracias,

Lucita ;)

Escuela de Cine y Video is apparently in Andoain, Guipuzcoa, Spain. You can find them at http://www.escivi.com/

They have published a number of books in this field - presumably there is enough demand among Spanish speakers, although so many people around the world are in your situation, where their technical English is more suitable than their native language.

Translation is always a delicate thing - I can't personally vouch for how accurately they have rendered the original, but hopefully more of it is right than wrong :unsure: ;)