Xl2 and Premiere 6.5... do they mix?

Justine Haupt

I'm having an interesting (not interesting, terribly annoying) problem in Premiere 6.5 I'm hoping someone can help me with. I've been shooting in 24fps (love it!) for the little time I've had the camera, and capture into Premiere at 24... OK, good. My general project settings use timebase 24 and time display 24... OK, good.

Now, when I export an AVI (in 24fps) and play back the file, if I pause it I can clearly see interlacing, which is unfortunately quite apparent during normal playback. So, I'm thinking to myself, if I'm capturing in 24, working in 24, and exporting in 24, why am I seeing fields after exporting? After trying all sorts of things, I realized the monitor window in Premiere is actually showing the clips interlaced, too, but I can't figure out why. When I view the source file, everything is fine, but in editing (and output) it has fields!

Does anyone know why this is? Is it possible that Premiere 6.5 just isn't good at 24fps?

Also, Premiere seems to wash out the image a tad (enough to make it look bad), which seems correctible by adjusting gamma, but I don't see why there's a discrepency to begin with.

I apologize for having to post this here, but as we know, there's no post-production forum.

Edited by Justin Haupt

• Premium Member
I'm having an interesting (not interesting, terribly annoying) problem in Premiere 6.5 I'm hoping someone can help me with. I've been shooting in 24fps (love it!) for the little time I've had the camera, and capture into Premiere at 24... OK, good. My general project settings use timebase 24 and time display 24... OK, good.

Now, when I export an AVI (in 24fps) and play back the file, if I pause it I can clearly see interlacing, which is unfortunately quite apparent during normal playback. So, I'm thinking to myself, if I'm capturing in 24, working in 24, and exporting in 24, why am I seeing fields after exporting? After trying all sorts of things, I realized the monitor window in Premiere is actually showing the clips interlaced, too, but I can't figure out why. When I view the source file, everything is fine, but in editing (and output) it has fields!

Does anyone know why this is? Is it possible that Premiere 6.5 just isn't good at 24fps?

Also, Premiere seems to wash out the image a tad (enough to make it look bad), which seems correctible by adjusting gamma, but I don't see why there's a discrepency to begin with.

I apologize for having to post this here, but as we know, there's no post-production forum.

Justin,

Try to see the preferences when exporting, there must be an single field exporting option somewhere or non interlaced.

Dimitrios Koukas

Guest Charlie Seper

How did you do the capture? Did you try to capture via firewire as miniDV? If so, it'll still capture in interlaced frames even though your footage is progressive. I don't know about going through a capture card. But I think you'll likely have better luck if you can upgrade to the latest version of Premiere. Since it can handle 24p footage from HDV cams now, I'm guessing its much more friendly in general to progressive frames. I'm still using 6.5 also though so I can't really tell you for sure. You might want to try Adobe's message board.

there shouldn't be a problem importing 24p footage from the camera over firewire. Its probly in the output your using. In Vegas, you have settings in the "Output Option" field once you select a output format, I always output in either WMV or .MOV format, never in .AVI! Try outputing in quicktime, setting the progressive fucntion (if premiere has one, never used it)...

good luck!

Edited by Landon D. Parks