dvx / xl2 / hvr

Jason Maeda

and sometimes you need to cut video into film projects.

i need to rent a small dv video camera to shoot "behind the scenes" shots of a fashion photo shoot. they want it to be "film-ish".

i also shoot docs on super-8. and i need to have a video camera to shoot some things where film is not a feasible option.

abel cine:

http://www.abelcine.com/Rental/frontrentalframeset.html

can anyone neatly articulate, to a video simpleton, the comparitive strengths and weaknesses of these three, specifically regarding the issue of film-like quality and/or superior image quality? i also need to have something that i can easily import into fcp on my g4 (!) and then deliver to an ad agency where everyone somehow knows even less than me about 24p and whatnot.

thanks guys

jason

• Premium Member

i need to rent a small dv video camera to shoot "behind the scenes" shots of a fashion photo shoot. they want it to be "film-ish".

i also shoot docs on super-8. and i need to have a video camera to shoot some things where film is not a feasible option.

abel cine:

can anyone neatly articulate, to a video simpleton, the comparitive strengths and weaknesses of these three, specifically regarding the issue of film-like quality and/or superior image quality? i also need to have something that i can easily import into fcp on my g4 (!) and then deliver to an ad agency where everyone somehow knows even less than me about 24p and whatnot.

thanks guys

jason

Only two of those MiniDV cameras offer 24p so that narrows your choice to the DVX and XL-2. From there, if your films aspect ratio is 4:3 you still have two choices but if it's 16:9, that leaves you with the XL-2, unless you like Panasonics masking of the sensors to create 16:9. People have gone on and on about which is better (the DVX or XL-2) but in this case, it just depends what you're doing.

If it were me, I'd rent the XL-2 and the 3x wide angle lens (for an extra $60) which will be particularly useful

in a behind-the-scenes application. The DVX lens is not very wide at all so you're talking about sticking an adapter on the front at which point you are losing its advantage in low light.

But you may prefer the feel of the DVX and be willing to put up with the disadvantages for that reason.

How's that?

• Premium Member

abel cine:

thanks guys

jason

In that case I would probably choose the Sony D-35W on beta SX , SP, or dvcam.It's a bit outdated so maybe u can find the camera in a logical price to rent.

It has a ''filmlike'' setup too, that maybe will give you the look, just don't forget to put the detail level to -30 if u use this setup,

it's -90 by default!

Dimitrios Koukas