Changing Lenses

Guest Thats the way it was

I have a quick question. When you are film a movie (Short or otherwise) on 35mm cameras or even high end digital like the vericam how many lenses would you use? Would you have a primary lenses and few other lenses for certain shots? Or do you just shot with one lens

• Premium Member

It depends.....but generally you have about 6 primes and a zoom or two. Could be more, could be less. I'm currently working on a feature where we're only using zooms (which is different than normal), and we have two, but normally you'd have some primes as well.

Some directors, like Roman Polanski and Wes Anderson (who got the idea from Roman Polanski) like to use just one lens to shoot the entire movie. They feel that it helps the continuity.

• Premium Member
Some directors, like Roman Polanski and Wes Anderson (who got the idea from Roman Polanski) like to use just one lens to shoot the entire movie. They feel that it helps the continuity.

Or maybe they didn't have the budget :)

Dimitrios Koukas

• Premium Member
I have a quick question. When you are film a movie (Short or otherwise) on 35mm cameras or even high end digital like the vericam how many lenses would you use? Would you have a primary lenses and few other lenses for certain shots? Or do you just shot with one lens

That's the way it was,

:) The selection of the lens always goes with what you want to achieve, for example : is you want to mimic an alien that has his head between it's legs, then I would use a fisheye lens.

But for a standard, drama, it's the most common to use all the lens (or almost all)available from the same manufacturer, and that is for continuity in quality, and look of the movie.

Many time though I have used some macro lenses that were from a different set, that caused me a little to nothing problem.

I said almost all because there are some focal lengths, that u don't mind to have or not in your inventory, if you have the one step after.

Example of Arri ultra primes: 10-12-14-16-20-24-28-32-40-50-60-85-100-135-180mm.

So u can just use: 10-14-20-28-32-40-50-85-100-135-180mm

Dimitrios Koukas

I am currently working on a short film that very faced paced almost like a chase scene. This is my first attempt at shooting a fast scene like this with different lenses. I am also working with the varicam. Does anyone have any suggestions on what lenses to use for this shoot. I have a 35mm pro adapter to use real 35mm lenses

• Premium Member
:) The selection of the lens always goes with what you want to achieve, for example : is you want to mimic an alien that has his head between it's legs, then I would use a fisheye lens.

Dimitrios Koukas

So THAT'S how you get the"alien-with-his-head-between-his-legs" shot!

EfharisTO Demetrious!