Water Lighting

Hey Guys & Gals,

New to the forum, I am a video editor gone prosumer D.P, and and working a theatrical based show shot in 16mm, we are using vision 7217 (200 ASA) and are shooting a ext day forest/dock.ocean scene in the studio. The ocean is pretty much blue sheets waving, shot with side lights to make it look contrasty, what i was hoping to do was sell the fill light as the reflections off our created water. What is the best or some different ways to create this effect, if you know the movie "down by law"-Jim Jarmusch I am going for the effect of the water on the wall of the tunnel as they run down the sewars. If it best to use a mirror and reflect hard light off off a low plane of water, or is it better to shoot throught a clear glass container and have the water moving.

I am looking for a cheap way to create the look of a relection of water, we have acess to lights under 2k and an array of filters, color gels and correction. Are my above ideas close? or am I far off the map. I have tried these ideas but only to get minimal results.

Suggestions, questions, comments or concerns

Thanks

Aaron Berns

• Premium Member
Hey Guys & Gals,

If it best to use a mirror and reflect hard light off off a low plane of water, or is it better to shoot throught a clear glass container and have the water moving.

Thanks

Aaron Berns

Aaron,

I will go with the first, light some broken mirrors, in a low plane of water, and move this too.

Dimitrios Koukas

Go to Home Depot and pick up two large black plastic plaster mixing bins. The come in different sizes I got two that are 3? x 2?. Place several pieces of broken glass in the bins and add water. Then point a spotty light source into them and stir the water. When done take the glass and put it in one of the bins nest the other bin over the first and tape closed.

Sorry,

Just one question, but I like the suggestion. "When done take the glass and put it in one of the bins nest the other bin over the first and tape closed." Nest? do you mean slip on into the other? ) --->) Or is this just

for storage? Sorry kinda confused or is it apart of the effect?

Let me know

But thanks for the idea

Aaron

Go to Home Depot and pick up two large black plastic plaster mixing bins. The come in different sizes I got two that are 3? x 2?. Place several pieces of broken glass in the bins and add water. Then point a spotty light source into them and stir the water. When done take the glass and put it in one of the bins nest the other bin over the first and tape closed.