A.A. Skintones

• Premium Member

Hey fellow shooters,

I have to shoot arrivals and some interviews at a large ceremony featuring a lot of very prominent African American celeb's. I'll be shooting beta SP with nothing more than a Sun gun and I'll shooting WHILE the sun is going down and then again in a dark interior. I won't be allowed to bring any lighting equipment. There will be a variety of skin tones ranging from very light skined AA skintones to very dark.

Has any one shot anything similiar, do you have any recomendations? I mean there's not a lot I can do but was wondering if someone used a cosmetic gel over the sun gun or anything else that worked.

Do you' all prefer the hard light from the sun gun or would you think some light diffusion would be a smarter way to go?

Thanks in advance,

Bill

• Premium Member
Hey fellow shooters,

I have to shoot arrivals and some interviews at a large ceremony featuring a lot of very prominent African American celeb's. I'll be shooting beta SP with nothing more than a Sun gun and I'll shooting WHILE the sun is going down and then again in a dark interior. I won't be allowed to bring any lighting equipment. There will be a variety of skin tones ranging from very light skined AA skintones to very dark.

Has any one shot anything similiar, do you have any recomendations? I mean there's not a lot I can do but was wondering if someone used a cosmetic gel over the sun gun or anything else that worked.

Do you' all prefer the hard light from the sun gun or would you think some light diffusion would be a smarter way to go?

Thanks in advance,

Bill

Keep your back to the sun. If you're gonna try to fight the sun with a little sun-gun, good luck to you. So get there early enough to get a spot on the good side of the red carpet.

Once you're inside, put enough spun glass on the sun-gun so that you can open the iris and get a decent level on the stuff in the background. One of the worst things I see from news cams is to blast away with a camera-top light, stop the lens way down, and have a brightly lit head floating in the blackness.

• Premium Member

Well all went well. The challenge wasn't so much the skin tones after all but compensating for weird variables such as the lighting tech at the event using crappy circuit breakers and continuosly blowing fuses.

Just when you got balanced for skylight being filled in with tungsten, the tungsten units would blow and you would'nt be able to adjust for your mini fresnel with 1/2 ctb on it, then the lights would come back up...

Inside light levels must have hovered around 10 footcandles so that was also challenging. Thankfully someone's sun gun went down and he was forced to throw up a Lowel, which I conveniently shared.

It was pretty cool for me to shoot the likes of Cedric the Entertainer, Anthony Anderson, Terence Howard, Syney Poitier, Vivica A. Fox, etc...

I'm sure the other shooters were bored but I enjoyed it.