Misaligned viewfinder on krasnogorsk-3

Johan Malvik

Hi!

I have a Krasnogorsk-3 that has been working just fine since I got it in March.

But when I picked it up again today, something was wrong with the viewfinder. A portion of the image seemed to be cut off on the right side (image attached). I never noticed this before.

At first I thought it might be dirt or something on the ground glass, but that didn't seem to be the case. 

To me it looks like the viewfinder is misaligned. I tried to set up the camera and point it straight at an object centered with the lens, and I could see it was shifted to the left in the viewfinder.

Does anyone know what could cause this? Any help is very much appreciated, as I am fairly new to 16mm cinematogtaphy!

Screenshot_20220712-000936_Photos.jpg

• Premium Member

Assuming the mirror is in the viewing position, and not stopped halfway because the spring ran out, the most likely thing is that the the viewfinder prism alignment has shifted or come loose. It's easy enough to take off the front and have a look at that assembly, at the top, but not so easy to align it properly. From memory there are 6 screws that adjust the framing alignment, but I'd be very cautious touching them unless you know for sure that's the issue. Could be a prism has come unglued or something.

6 hours ago, Dom Jaeger said:

Assuming the mirror is in the viewing position, and not stopped halfway because the spring ran out, the most likely thing is that the the viewfinder prism alignment has shifted or come loose. It's easy enough to take off the front and have a look at that assembly, at the top, but not so easy to align it properly. From memory there are 6 screws that adjust the framing alignment, but I'd be very cautious touching them unless you know for sure that's the issue. Could be a prism has come unglued or something.

Yes, the mirror is in the viewing position.

Thank you very much, I will try to take off the front and have a look at it!