AAton Super 16 , or 35 Konvas-Automat .?

ivan delenda

Two very different types of camera.

The Konvas is a MOS camera (not silent running, sound will probably have to be dubbed).

Aäton cameras are silent and very good for S16-to-35mm blowups.

35mm negative printed to 35mm release (or via interpos/internegative) will look best. If you have a high shooting ratio (shot film compared to used footage), 35mm may be a huge cost factor. So it depends on the type of film you are doing.

On the other side, going 35mm you will save money because you skip the optical or DI blowup process. With S-16 for blowup, use of high speed stocks needs to be restricted if you want maximum blowup quality. In 35mm, the larger image area makes this less of a problem.

A Konvas 400ft./120meter mag will run about 4 and a half minutes. Then you can change very quickly thanks to the mag type, but make sure you have enough mags.

A 400ft. roll of S-16 will run twice as long, which may be important if you are doing documentary type of work or extremely long takes.

If you get a Konvas, try to get the 2M model with the single lens mount and enough large mags. Smaller mags take only about 50 meters (on Kodak cores), but they are great for shooting handheld and in cars and other restricted places.

Expect to have any Konvas thoroughly serviced and tested, including the mags.

Edited by Christian Appelt

thank you Christian ,,,

very surralist for me, you can buy a konvas lomo lens for 2O dollars,,,

in one hand , i find that fantastic, but in other hand , what is that lens "mint" conditions for 20 box ?

any one knows about LOMOS ?

thanks

ivan

I bought spherical Lomo lenses (f2) for as little as US$ 50, and they were like new and compare well with footage shot with my 1980s Zeiss lenses. Russian optics were always excellent, so expect older Lomo lenses to perform similar to Western lenses made during the same period.

Edited by Christian Appelt