Quick ND filter Scoopic question

I'm shooting a film on my Scoopic MS, and as of now I have not had to filter anything with it. I'm trying to filter some 250D asa film down to around 50D. I have the filters and all, but once they are in, do I need to reset the ASA meter to 50 ASA or keep it at 250 ASA on the camera? Thanks.

• Premium Member

Since you have a built-in meter, it will take account of the filters you put in front so don't change the asa rating.

Just as to remind, going down from 250 to 50 exactly is not that easy. A ND 0.6 will cut 2 stops, taking you down to 64 ISO. Might be close enough to your need. Adding a ND 0.15 would take you down to 45 if you can find one... You'd need a 0.10 filter to get closer to 50 but that's even more difficult to find, I guess...

Since you have a built-in meter, it will take account of the filters you put in front so don't change the asa rating.

Just as to remind, going down from 250 to 50 exactly is not that easy. A ND 0.6 will cut 2 stops, taking you down to 64 ISO. Might be close enough to your need. Adding a ND 0.15 would take you down to 45 if you can find one... You'd need a 0.10 filter to get closer to 50 but that's even more difficult to find, I guess...

Yeah, I planned on just dropping it to 64. Since I am going straight to digital, I will just fine tune it in fcp. Thanks.

hi there- actually with the scoopic the metering is not through the lens, it's a seperate little window above the lens, so you would have to change your asa dial with the addition of NDs (if all of your metering is with the camera's meter- which is kind of a crummy meter, by the way)

You'd be better off with a seperate meter, and just set it to your "new" asa (in this case, 64 with the NDs on the lens)

hi there- actually with the scoopic the metering is not through the lens, it's a seperate little window above the lens, so you would have to change your asa dial with the addition of NDs (if all of your metering is with the camera's meter- which is kind of a crummy meter, by the way)

You'd be better off with a seperate meter, and just set it to your "new" asa (in this case, 64 with the NDs on the lens)

Thanks for the extra info. I'm told that the scoopic MS's light meter is the better of them all. I recently got some footage back, and outside of the crummy transfer I got, It came out reasonably good. So hopefully the whole film come out good as well.