What does rating a movie mean in terms of exposure?

Al Amin

I was recently listening Team Deakins podcast with Robert Eggers & Jarin Blaschke - LINK and at 56:30 Roger asks Jarin "What stop were you lighting to" to which Jarin replies "I rated that whole movie at 80"

Does this mean he exposed the skintones (or main subjects) in the frame at 80IRE or does it mean something completely different. Any explanation would be helpful, thanks ?

22 minutes ago, Al Amin said:

I was recently listening Team Deakins podcast with Robert Eggers & Jarin Blaschke - LINK and at 56:30 Roger asks Jarin "What stop were you lighting to" to which Jarin replies "I rated that whole movie at 80"

Does this mean he exposed the skintones (or main subjects) in the frame at 80IRE or does it mean something completely different. Any explanation would be helpful, thanks ?

80 ISO

Edit: He's shooting on 5222, which is 250 ISO under daylight and 200 ISO under tungsten light. And pulling the negative by a half stop. On top of that there's an orthochromatic film-emulating filter that eats another half stop of light (roughly), but more under tungsten light because tungsten is closer to red.

So that translates to around 125 ISO and 100 ISO with the half stop pull and the filter, but he's rating at 80 ISO and 50 ISO under tungsten (he later adds, so he doesn't rate everything at 80 ISO, just daylight, if I'm not mistaken) to preserve a bit more shadow detail and account for the filter blocking more tungsten light.

So, all told, with the half stop pull in the lab and the custom filter from Schneider, he's rating the stock at 80 ISO under daylight and 50 ISO under tungsten light despite the stock being a nominal 250 ISO under daylight and 200 ISO under tungsten. 

Then the old baltars flare quite a bit so he's stopping the lens down to get a sharper image and I think basically long story short he just needed a lot of light for the night scenes. 

Edited by M Joel W
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, M Joel W said:

80 ISO

Edit: He's shooting on 5222, which is 250 ISO under daylight and 200 ISO under tungsten light. And pulling the negative by a half stop. On top of that there's an orthochromatic film-emulating filter that eats another half stop of light (roughly), but more under tungsten light because tungsten is closer to red.

So that translates to around 125 ISO and 100 ISO with the half stop pull and the filter, but he's rating at 80 ISO and 50 ISO under tungsten (he later adds) to preserve a bit more shadow detail and account for the filter blocking tungsten light.

So, all told, with the half stop pull in the lab and the custom filter from Schneider, he's rating the stock at 80 ISO under daylight and 50 ISO under tungsten light despite the stock being a nominal 250 ISO under daylight and 200 ISO under tungsten. 

Then the old baltars flare quite a bit so he's stopping the lens down to get a sharper image and I think basically long story short he just needed a lot of light for the night scenes. 

Okay that makes much more sense. Thank you very much, I appreciate the explanation.