CSI: Miami look

Josh Silfen

I was wondering if anyone was familiar with how they achieve the look of the show CSI: Miami, specifically what units are used to create the hard edges and backlight seen in virtually every close-up. Are these just regular fresnels or something harder and/or more focused (xenons?)?

On an unrelated topic, I'm also curious how they shoot the flashback sequences. Are they 35mm that's been degraded somehow in post or possibly another format (16mm or Super8 or some video format)?

Thanks for any information.

-Josh Silfen

• Premium Member
I was wondering if anyone was familiar with how they achieve the look of the show CSI: Miami, specifically what units are used to create the hard edges and backlight seen in virtually every close-up. Are these just regular fresnels or something harder and/or more focused (xenons?)?

On an unrelated topic, I'm also curious how they shoot the flashback sequences. Are they 35mm that's been degraded somehow in post or possibly another format (16mm or Super8 or some video format)?

Thanks for any information.

-Josh Silfen

Just looking at it, I see no reason why the fixtures you're talking about couldn't just be standard fresnels.

Isn't the whole thing shot on 16mm?

I?ve shot motion control and crime scene recreates on CSI. We often use pars to give the hard blown out edges. I try to get lots of reflective surfaces. Curently I'm shootoing the show "Boarding School" on the island of Oahu, Hawaii.

• Premium Member
Curently I'm shootoing the show "Boarding School" on the island of Oahu, Hawaii.

It's good to be Bob.

Speaking of CSI, I read that the DP did an advert for Schneider black frost filters and raved about how they were responsible for the way the daytime exteriors look. Any truth to that?

I?ve shot motion control and crime scene recreates on CSI. We often use pars to give the hard blown out edges. I try to get lots of reflective surfaces. Curently I'm shootoing the show "Boarding School" on the island of Oahu, Hawaii.

Bob,

Thanks for the info. Are the crime scene recreates shot on 35 or something else?

-Josh Silfen