Tri-X WOW! Great job, Kodak!

Guest santo

Just got back some film from the lab -- the last couple of reels for a short -- and had a quick look on an old projector. Thankfully I can send this multi-month project out for telecine on Monday. Anyway, the whole project was shot on Plus-X, still my favourite super 8 stock. The other week I needed to do a couple of pick-ups and ran out of film. Had my lead actor there, shooting on the street downtown, just really simple hand-held shots. Had some luck with some impovisation and things that fell into our laps -- needed some shots of him near an ambulance and bam! there it is! But then, a few more pickups are needed and we're out of film!

Usually I just go down to Kodak Canada here in Toronto and buy my film direct, but it was a long way away, and would be closed by the time we could get there. So we went a few blocks down to Henry's, which surprisingly stocks Plus-X pretty regularly, but not that day. They had one super 8 cart in the store, Tri-X. I haven't tried out the new Tri-X before. Really did not like the old Tri-X in super 8. But I was pretty impressed by some new Tri-X footage I had seen clips posted of here and elsewhere and Kodak's site talks about it being much sharper, less grainy, and more easily intercut with Plus-X, so I went with it.

Now I see that it is way better than the old stuff was. I still like Plus-X better, but it's pretty great.

Told ya! The new Tri-X rocks! I want to shoot my next few shorts using it.
Yeah the new Tri-X is way better than the old. And the new Plus-X, looks more like a slower version of the new Tri-X. Finer, but handles latitute in a similar way. Where as, the old Plus-X seemed courser and sharper with more contrast. And I agree the new emultions can be cut together much better. So overall, I must say I am happier with the offering as a whole