Genesis used on Black Eyed Peas concert in Sydney

Guest Jim Murdoch

Guest Jim Murdoch

Once again the mysterious ways of Panavision.

Entirely by accident I came upon an item on the PV Australia Website telling how four Genesis cameras were used in early October to record the Black Eyed Peas concert in Sydney.

Considering the current popularity of the BEPs, it's amazing that PV haven't publicised this more. I should point out that there are no images actually shot by the Genesis on there, all you'll see is a lot of on-set photos of the Genesis. Their website is somewhat bogged down with excessive amounts of images so it can be a long wait if you're not on ADSL or cable, and you won't really see too much anyway, so don't go to too much trouble.

But anyway, if you want to see some Genesis pictures in action, it sounds like your best bet is to keep an eye out for television coverage of the Black Eyed Peas.

• 7 months later...
Guest Jim Murdoch

So I wonder what ever became of that footage.

Interesting that now they're using the Dalsa; what was wrong with the Genesis, then :blink:

So I wonder what ever became of that footage.

Interesting that now they're using the Dalsa; what was wrong with the Genesis, then :blink:

I am not sure there was anything "wrong" with the Genesis footage at all. I believe what they shot in Australia was actually a live performance with the Black Eyed Peas.

The "INSTANT DEF" material we shot with the DALSA Origin was actually a 'branded content' (the new buzz-word for advertising that will exist across several media formats) project for SNICKERS candy bars. The job was shot entirely green screen in order to facilitate the creation of a 'SIN CITY' style virtual environment. The content needed to be output in film, HD, NTSC, and for the internet so they took the "sample high, scale down approach." The 4K material was the big target for film output, and they could easily interpolate down from the high-resolution material for HD, NTSC, Web etc.

Like many projects these days INSTANT DEF was a 'hybrid' digital production. Our camera was by no means the only acquisition tool used on the production. Indeed there was another full unit shooting with the Panasonic AG-HVX200 that records to the P2 cards. They did a remarkable job with very little time and the elements I have seen from that camera are very good. Static green-screen elements were also shot with a Canon digital still camera (I believe it was the EOS Mark II).

The guys from FORM (the production company) had the foresight to build asset management into the on-set workflow so maintaining control over a rapidly expanding digital element database never got out of control. Hats off to them for that. These days you live or die by the quality of the post supervisor for jobs like this. Trust me, there are a lot more bad ones than good.

Alan Lasky

DALSA Digital Cinema

• Premium Member

Below is an abrieviation of Tim's post from the news section.

In each “digi-sode,” the Black Eyed Peas play superheroes that must “save hip-hop” from “violence and materialism.”.... As previously announced, the digisodes will appear in theatrical trailers, television commercials and through web distribution as part of an advertising campaign for Snickers.

Are these nonces taking the piss? Does irony cease to exist when you have made a ton of money from a song entitled "my humps"?

Cant work out whether to laugh or cry, regardless of how well the footage keys...

Edited by keith mottram

Oh, I know.

Have you seen the "Saturday Night Live" skit where they take the piss out of the Blacke Eyed Peas? It's hilarious, they are ripping on them big time. The gag revolves around a fake commercial for "hiring the Black Eyed Peas." They have them playing at a Pfizer office party, A Wendy's fast food restaraunt opening, and a Bar-mitzvah, all for $25,000. It is on the "Best of Saturday Night Live" Commercial Parodies DVD that just came out.

Saving hip-hop indeed. Don't throw any @#$ my way, we just show up and record the takes =0.

Alan Lasky

DALSA Digital Cinema

Guest Jim Murdoch
I am not sure there was anything "wrong" with the Genesis footage at all. I believe what they shot in Australia was actually a live performance with the Black Eyed Peas.

Alan Lasky

DALSA Digital Cinema

I just wondered why I never saw the footage surface anywhere.

• 2 weeks later...

Variety's review of Superman Returns singles out Siegel's camerawork and gives the film the highest praise of any summer blockbuster in recent memory. From the review:

"Regular Singer cinematographer Newton Thomas Sigel has contributed significantly to giving the film a fantastically clear, clean and stable look; "Superman Returns" is an unalloyed pleasure simply to behold."

Read the entire review here: http://www.variety.com/VE1117930841.html

The review in the Hollywood Reporter was quite good as well.

I sincerely hope SUPERMAN does well. $200 million dollars is a great deal of money to have invested in that property. Warner Brothers is taking quite a line bet on the film. More power to them if they can get it all back.

Alan Lasky

DALSA Digital Cinema

Guest Jim Murdoch
The review in the Hollywood Reporter was quite good as well.

I sincerely hope SUPERMAN does well. $200 million dollars is a great deal of money to have invested in that property. Warner Brothers is taking quite a line bet on the film. More power to them if they can get it all back.

Alan Lasky

DALSA Digital Cinema

I think it would be unlikely in the extreme that they would fail to make their money back, given the status of the "product".

"The review in the Hollywood Reporter was quite good as well. "

Yeah, well I've been reading the same sort of near-ecstacy reviews for the best part of the last 20 years! They said the same sort of things about Star Wars II and III, too. I thought the image quality on those was pretty damn ordinary, but let's face it, anything with the name "Star Wars" attached is going to do well, regardless of how it was originated. I'm sure the images on Superman Returns will be better, but all they're ever going to be is 2K, regardless of whatever "putting-back-what-wasn't-there-in-the-first-place" ASO (Algorithmic Snake Oil:-) they try to invoke.

Mind you, origination format isn't the whole story by any means: We have the case of an über-expensive production like "King Arthur" which really didn't do too well at all. I never got round to seeing it in the cinema, but one of my kids hired the DVD and I only got about a third through it before I got sick of all the gratuitious blood and guts.