Hey people,

just wanted to throw a very general question out there... i have DOP'd five short films in the last 12 months on 16mm... for the last half i have been exposing using a Cannon Eos digital slr as well as my sekonic.... i seem to be getting a very reliable image comparison in the telecine with the shots on the still cam...

anybody have any thoughts on exposing using digital slr's... thinking of purchasing one soon.

cheers

Steve...

• Premium Member
Hey people,

just wanted to throw a very general question out there... i have DOP'd five short films in the last 12 months on 16mm... for the last half i have been exposing using a Cannon Eos digital slr as well as my sekonic.... i seem to be getting a very reliable image comparison in the telecine with the shots on the still cam...

anybody have any thoughts on exposing using digital slr's... thinking of purchasing one soon.

cheers

Steve...

Hi,

I have a Nikon D70. Normally I decide the exposure first and test it with the Nikon. You could use it as a lightmeter but I see no advantage as its bigger and heavier than an exposure meter!

Stephen

.... i seem to be getting a very reliable image comparison in the telecine with the shots on the still cam...

not only that, but you can mess with your frames in photoshop, print them out and take them into telecine to show exactly what you're aiming for- it's an incredibly useful tool- Also a good confidence booster on set, kind of like a really expensive viewing glass! And you'll have some nice pix for your photo album.