Sony HVR-Z1 exposure problem

jon w

hello,

a few months back i shot a documentry with this camera. i noticed the camera would automaticly compensate its exposure when there were very bright areas in frame, even when it was in full manual mode, with the controls on "hold/lock". the fstop indicator wouldnt change (i dont think), but you would see the image darken.

i remember i did something to prevent this, but cant remember what? i have a friend whos a quarter way through a feature, and she called me freaking out because the cameras exposure has a mind of its own.

does anyone know what im talking about? or specificley how to fix it?

remember, your f stop will change if you are zooming in :D

i had a similar thing happen to me with an FX1, and of course the f stop was changing due to zooming in, but the gain would dissapear of the screen for no reason at certain point too!>@ I took this question to a dealership here in Brisbane where the camera was purchased and they had no answer for me... instead he turned a Z1 on and started pointing it in the dark and then lite areas - nothing was changing, making me doubt myself... i swear that GAIN just dissapeared of the LCD for no reason... cause you know you got to feel it to click it off... i dont know... but yeah, the f-stops move with the lens.

hope that helps