Ways to avoid flare?

Hi, I'm shooting a short film with old first generation Zeiss superspeeds that seem to be really prone to flaring. Obviously I have a mattebox and an eyebrow, but they aren't any good with wider lenses...

I've surrounded the camera with flags, but still there's light coming in. What more can I do? Obviously it doesn't get any easier due to my lighting style, mostly backlight or 3/4 back... I've shot with T1.3 - T2.8.

I've never seen lenses that flare this much, I can't even have kinos above the frameline...

Flag EVERY light you have in front of the lens. I dont know if this is nesicarily the 'proper method' but it always works for me. If you have a zoom on your camera and can pull back any, pull out until you can see all your lights. then put the flags in front of those hotspots, making sure they are far enough forward so as not to affect lighting on your actors.

if you cant pull out any get a ladder and put your eyes basicly where your light will be. then have an assistent adjust the flag until it completely blocks the lens in your veiw. all you are trying to do is to put a block the direct line between the lights head and the lens. if it still flares your flags are not big enough to cover the whole hotspot. cover the area of the light and at least 25% more, to cover the glow.

**edit** sorry, I just read Davids post. yeah if its in frame your out of luck, if its out then use my method

Edited by Michael Collier