Direct to Edit Quality?

Mark Bonnington

Hi,

No, Very few cameras are capable of sending out 4:4:4, Thats dual stream HD.

Stephen

Oh, okay. So, what kind of signal is being sent out of the camera's DTE port? Is it sending out a 25MB stream, or is it up near 150MB? I'm concerned that the DTE stream is going to be the same data as what's being written to the tape... which would make the DTE a pointless addition for my needs.

• Premium Member
Oh, okay. So, what kind of signal is being sent out of the camera's DTE port? Is it sending out a 25MB stream, or is it up near 150MB? I'm concerned that the DTE stream is going to be the same data as what's being written to the tape... which would make the DTE a pointless addition for my needs.

Hi,

Reading the information for "Acquisition for cinematography transfer to film..... From the native uncompressed 720p signal the GY-HD100E camcorder can be set to generate the HDV compliant 720p 24 recording signal...."

So it looks like a 19.7 Mbps stream! Anybody from JVC?

Stephen

Cineform and Wafian are developing a DTE recorder that does HD-SDI and component HD in and records to the Cineform Intermediate Format. It looks like you'll be able to get 720 10bit 4:2:2 out of the HD100's component ports. Yeah, it's analog out, but at least it's not HDV. They say it will record all HD formats and framerates, and the SDI and component ports should mean compatability with the new Canon and the HVX.

That's true to any camera in the market, if by DTE you mean recording to a firestore(portable). It records the very same stream the tape recorder records.

If you just want to record direct to a PC HDD, and have the money to afford buying a system capable of recording it, the HD100 has HD component out, which gives you uncompressed 4:2:2.

If you really want HD 4:4:4, you will need to buy a $150,000 Viper camera. But since you are asking about the HD100, I would presume you can't even afford a $50,000 Varicam, so I don't see how you will record 4:4:4 (expensive) or why you even want it. 4:4:4 work flow is very expensive!

Of course there's always rent. But it's still expensive.

How come their is no firewire port on the HD100 ?

Sure. There's a firewire port in every HD100 (PAL or NTSC)