Camera used in The Man with the Movie Camera (1929)

Brian Rose

All,

I recently viewed Dziga Vertov's The Man with the Movie Camera, and I was wondering if any of you out there could tell me what make/model of camera the cameraman uses in it. Frankly, I love that little handcranked job. Wish I could find one!

Best,

BR

All,

I recently viewed Dziga Vertov's The Man with the Movie Camera, and I was wondering if any of you out there could tell me what make/model of camera the cameraman uses in it. Frankly, I love that little handcranked job. Wish I could find one!

Best,

BR

---That would be a Debrie Parvo. I can't give a specific model number.

Some have ground glass, some don't

Some have registrtion pins, some don't.

Viewing while shooting was directly through the film, which is not feasible with modern stocks, particularly color.

& the film needs to be on a special parvo core raather than the standard 2" core.

They show up on German auction sites.

The Russian Rodina is basically a reflex knock off.

---LV

I have a Rodina and comparing it to pictures of the Parvo they are very similar. Side by side magazines (it uses non-standard cores), large bayonet mount for the lenses, it has pin registration and a reflex mirror shutter. I got mine with a handcrank if I ever want to makes movies that way. The footage counter is in meters though.