Lighting with colour & skin tone

Hi there,

I got my hands on an Alexa LF a few weeks back and did some gel tests at home with what I had available. This wasn't the most technically accurate way of testing but I had the camera and some bits lying around and thought I may swell try some stuff at home. 

I key'd my partner with a 650W tungsten head, with Deep Red & some yellow gel (not sure official name as these were off cuts I got from one of the first shoots I worked on and have no label) and put a couple layers of steel blue as a back light to test it out. I set the camera WB to 3200K and tested at exposing for middle grey, a stop over and a stop under to compare.

I think the slightly over exposed version and then graded down came out the best, but I still find the skin tone to be a little flat or overly smooth? Is this to do with the wavelength of red light being reflected by the skin ?

Any practical and technical advice would be appreciated! 

Also have to mention my partner was having an awful time WFH for her job and to make matters worse I was playing around lighting her with different gels with two tungsten heads on... So that's why she looks less than impressed in the photo haha

Thanks!

AlexaLF_Red_Gel_Test.jpg

• Premium Member

Faces shot under red light are not that sharp on film either, it’s just hard to get good detail when only one layer of film or one-quarter of the pixels are receiving information. With film you have grain though which gives some texture in lieu of detail.

• Like 1

I used a tungsten light with a deep red gel (may have doubled up) and also some yellow gel. Don’t have the exact names as these were off cuts and they weren’t labelled. I over exposed by a stop and then brought it down in the grade. I haven’t added any saturation but I do have a 35mm emulation LUT for the Alexa that I applied before bringing the levels down. 

I don't have a recorded test of just the red, bit of an oversight in retrospective but it was just an instinctive thing I wanted to try and my thinking was that by adding a touch of yellow it would bring it more towards orange and away from magenta.