Tripod System and Slider – Portable and Smooth?

Chris Barker

Hello,

I do mainly solo run and run-and-gun documentary work and need a new tripod system and slider for perfectly smooth results with both.

My rig is light (bare bones RED = 6.5lbs; could add the V-lock battery = 9lbs).

I tested a Sachtler FSB8 Flowtech 75mm, but it wasn't smooth enough.

This is pushing me toward a 100mm tripod system, but in addition to the extra weight on the tripod, 100mm bowl sliders all seem to be very heavy, making carrying it all over decent distances on certain shoots potentially impossible.

And on top of that, would a 100mm bowl slider need two tripods, rather than much lighter supports?

Is portable and perfectly smooth possible with a tripod and slider setup?

Can a sub-100mm setup provide the stability? Is there a luggable 100mm solution?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated

it's mostly easy to adapt anything 75mm to 100mm bowl....

I have a Vinten 2 stage 100mm bowl tripod that is very small compact and light- i don't know what model number it is though.  as far as heads go maybe look at Libec - i have an old one that is compact and pretty smooth -true fluid.   

you can also use a monopod to support the other end of a slider.  what length are you looking at?

Edited by JB Earl

that Sachtler should be pretty smooth. Was it the head or were the sticks wobbly?  What focal length were you testing?  If the camera rig is well under 10 pounds it should be ok on a 75 mm ball 

you can easily put one end of the 3 foot slider on sticks and the other end on a monopod. The slider frame just needs to be stiff enough to resist twisting at that end.   

Edited by JB Earl

The Sacthler 75mm looked fine during operation, but when I reviewed the pans/tilts on a large monitor they weren’t perfectly smooth (all properly set up, and I think I’m a pretty good operator). Bearing in mind I’m a total perfectionist.

I read subsequently that 100mm systems are really the way to go for cinema cameras, so was thinking about trying to find/save for an O’Connor…unsure if this is overkill for a light rig/run and gun setup or if this is the only way to get perfectly smooth motion.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Chris,

For small + portable, I would also recommend an O’Connor DV head (if you can find a used one). It’s a compact, true fluid head that will last a lifetime with proper maintenance. Pair that with a Trost slider, flat base version (sadly discontinued in all forms) along w/ Gitzo sticks and you can get smooth, portable, rock-solid results on 50mm++. The setup is limited to about 20” travel …enough for a 3 sec dolly shot, but that’s the sacrifice for portability.

oconnor_trost.jpg

• Upvote 1

On 8/15/2023 at 5:46 AM, Manuel Reta III said:

Trost

Thanks...I heard those are good but haven't been able to find any.

I tried out a lightweight video slider (Rhino) which was "probably fixable in post" level, so am thinking about a 2ft Flyking (perhaps the wheeled bag will make long distances easier/possible where possible).

I also found a good deal on a used Miller Compass 20 so snatched that up. I think it's probably good enough...just not sure if an O'Connor would provide noticeably better results.

Edited by Chris Barker

3 minutes ago, JB Earl said:

I use a Flyking 3' which i'm pretty happy with, but it really should be on mitchell base.  100mm might work with a light camera, but definitely not 75mm.

Thanks for the tip. Please can you explain why? I noticed that the 100mm version comes with a 75mm adapter so was thinking about trying that.

the slider itself is pretty heavy to begin with.  I guess limiting the overhang with the 2' version would help.  I would consider removing the half ball and mounting flat to the tripod bowl

22 hours ago, JB Earl said:

the slider itself is pretty heavy to begin with.  I guess limiting the overhang with the 2' version would help.  I would consider removing the half ball and mounting flat to the tripod bowl

My rig is pretty light so I should be about 4KG under the tripod's max capacity with the 2ft slider.

With sliders, it seems the options are lightweight 2KGish video head ones that aren't good enough (I used one on my first feature and fixed most shots in post to look perfect)...or 75mm+ ones that weigh five times as much (hopefully the Flyking is good enough to get it right in camera...I guess I'm looking at trying MYT Works or similar if not, which are way more expensive).

Edited by Chris Barker