magnetic film

• Premium Member

Magnetic film is used to record analog sound. Prior to digital sound editing, the tracks were physically cut and edited, along with the workprint, and used in the mixing process. But analog magnetic masters are still often used, and are still considered to be a better archival element than any digital format.

Magnetic sound masters are covered in the ACVL Handbook:

http://www.acvl.org/manual.htm

What is magnetic sound film used for?

I'm naturally assuming you're referring to what is called "fulllcoat mag stock", that is 16mm o r 35mm film coated all over with magnetic oxide. That is what John was referring to.

It's really a nightmare with editing, because to get your sound onto the mag stock you gotta go to a transfer facility and pay for the stock and time. If you damage the film or the sound becomes dumpy because of a bad head on an editing table, then you have to get it retransferred. Multitracking was a pain, you had to have multiple machines that were lined up and interlocked. This sort of stuff makes me happy that digital editing exists. If you need to digitize its a piece of cake and it costs you nothing (unless you are renting the computer).

There was also prestriped 16mm picture film, which had a magnetic stripe running along the edge. This was used to record sound on film by cameras such as the Auricon, CP-16, Arri BL, and a few others. It was called "com-mag" recording. The sound quality was better than the older optical method but it's a system that has outgrown its use since the demise of 16mm in network news. Kodak no longer offers the film (Ektachrome 160 and 125) either, although I still remember when it was available.

- G.