Jump to content

Anzer Sizov

Basic Member
  • Posts

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Posts posted by Anzer Sizov

  1. I have confused Americans with Pete Tong references, but yes I think most places would understand 86 because of staggering American cultural hegemony.


    One thing that non-Brits don't seem to get is "split the difference" which is not film terminology but has confused French, Japanese and Americans in my recent experience, and it's not a language problem.


    For reference, it's a directive to use something halfway between two recently-discussed options and often comes up when positioning people - "Take a step to your right, no, too much, split the difference."

    This is wonderful. I can now think of an adequte phrase that exists in Russian but being a non-native speaker I could never come up with something so graceful. "Split the difference". Love that. Thank you.

  2. *Knock off" a light will usually result in it being switched off (assuming you don't mean stealing the light, which is another meaning of that term) and "bring down" could result in it being derigged. or lowered. If you want to to lower the light levels you usually have to say how you want to lower the light level eg ND, scrim, fade down, dim.


    Terms like "lose the Kino" or "kill the redhead" are not that unusual. Organizations or different sectors can have differing terms e.g. the BBC calls chroma key, C.S.O. (Colour Separation Overlay)


    I haven't heard a one word for the sun and clouds. it's usually "the sun's in and out" or "it can't make up its mind".


    I heard "Joan Collins" being used in the late 1990s.


    Brian, That is exactly what I wanted. Thank you. Could you think of any words related to dolly-work. For instance, what do you call type of shot when the object in in the center of a circle and you're on dolly circling around? Is it an ark-shot?..

    Sometimes English-speaking directors use words such as "punch in". Are there any others of the same kind?

  3. Thank you everyone.

    I realise I might have not made myself clear.

    Phil, I'm with you on that.

    David, thank you for your post.

    Things I'd like to know are the words like "open up, stop down, lock down" etc.

    Do you "knock off" the light if it's too much of it or do you "bring down"?

    Another good example:

    What do you call a situation when the Sun constantly pops out of the clouds and then hides so that it's impossible to predict if you're going to have a take.

    We have one word for such situation.

  4. Friends,

    I'm working in Russia so obviously we speak Russian on-set.

    And a lot of things we say concerning camera dpt. work-flow are esily understood by anyone who works in the industry here.

    But all the words are mostly slang.

    The phrases are boiled down to the very essence so that you don't have to waste any time explaning things.

    What do you guys actually say on-set when it comes down to working practices such as adjusting f-stop, discussing camera movements, choosing filters etc.

    Throw anything that pops up in your mind, every bit would be much appreciated.


    do you "open up a knotch, a third etc", do you "lock down the head" or "lock-off" etc.

    I need these words to work with english-speaking cinematographers.

    I know I could manage, but I bet there are standard, sharp words for everything.

    Thanks from Moscow, Russia



  • Create New...