help kill that noise

Guest rndfilms

Guest rndfilms

I have an RX-2; it's got a strong motor, everything's clean, and it runs like a charm...BUT it runs VERY LOUD!!! Even with a recent lube job there is still a lot of squeaking and mechanical noise. Barneys and blimp I've got; what I would like are ways to tune the motor so vibe is at a minimum. Has anyone done this? Any suggestions?

• Premium Member
I have an RX-2; it's got a strong motor, everything's clean, and it runs like a charm...BUT it runs VERY LOUD!!! Even with a recent lube job there is still a lot of squeaking and mechanical noise. Barneys and blimp I've got; what I would like are ways to tune the motor so vibe is at a minimum. Has anyone done this? Any suggestions?

Even lubed and tuned right it's a loud camera. It's simply not made to be a sync camera.

Guest rndfilms

bummer. maybe a radical engineering approach is required, like a wet sump on the springs and gears....

Even lubed and tuned right it's a loud camera. It's simply not made to be a sync camera.

OR! supplant with ultrasonic stepper motor, bought cheap at H&S in Pasadena

bummer. maybe a radical engineering approach is required, like a wet sump on the springs and gears....

OR! supplant with ultrasonic stepper motor, bought cheap at H&S in Pasadena

When hank cranking with the rewind knob on my RX4 i noticed how quiet it ran using the 1:1 spindle (obviously I wasnt getting anywhere near 24/25 fps) - but the 8:1 spindle was still loud, with your bolex you only have the 8:1 spindle ...

The stepper motor is a good idea for other reasons also (near fully adjustable shutter angle with time-lapse) - I'm making a drive for mine, they do vibrate somewhat at certain rpm's so remember to mount it well so the vibrations dont carry through to your cam and make even more noise than you started with :mellow:

Well you could also create a giant sound-deafening trunk for the camera

Make it mobile like a tank so you can take it wherever you want to shoot.

Or how about a mobile sound deafening space vacuum...? :)

Sorry for being sarcastic.

But the truth is unless (like someone mentioned...) you radically engineer the Bolex camera motor...

They're going to be loud--it's the nature of the camera

Elephants are huge, Penguins can't fly, and Bolexes are loud

The IIC was a very noisy camera and a large padded plastic housing was built to quiet it. It looked like an underwater housing. It was difficult to use but it worked. Check it out and you might get some ideas.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest rndfilms

Thanks, Bob- I just tried some plastic-covered foam, and it does work. You might think my 'wet sump' idea was crazy, but I tried submerging some clockwork mechanisms in mineral oil, and transmitted vibration was cut WAY WAY DOWN!!!...this could work!

The IIC was a very noisy camera and a large padded plastic housing was built to quiet it. It looked like an underwater housing. It was difficult to use but it worked. Check it out and you might get some ideas.

Hi Eric, H16's are loud, but it sounds like yours is particulaly so. There shouldn't really be "squeaking" for instance. Can you try to identify the source (or sources) of the noise ? If so, i may be able to help you quiet it down. Check the shutter (rubbing ?) also.

In the past, i have posted a few tips on H16 lubing on this forum. That may be a start.

I'm not saying your Bolex will be quiet in the end, just a little less loud...

-B