Datacine!

DOsborne

Hello,

I'm shooting a short project in June on Super16 and will ultimately like to have it transferred to uncompressed HD or 2K, preferably straight to hard drives. The following page about Bonolab, which does datacine transfers to hard drives, has me concerned.

http://www.cinematography.net/digitk/digitk.htm

Are there places that you all would recommend? Or any thoughts in general? Thanks!

• Premium Member
The following page about Bonolab, which does datacine transfers to hard drives, has me concerned.

http://www.cinematography.net/digitk/digitk.htm

Are there places that you all would recommend? Or any thoughts in general? Thanks!

I worked with Bonolab pretty early with the uncompressed direct to disk in Super 8 and I have to say that the images didn't look soft at all... the progressive frames were great to work with, each was like a high-res scan that I could make photo prints from.

But, since it was a "1-light" it was left to me to color correct and I suck at color correction. But the 10-bit, uncompressed transfer gives you alot to work with if you know what you are doing.

You REALLY have to have a MONTSTER system to work in uncompressed HD. Bonolabs is happy to help you setup a system, but remember, its not like working in DV.

I've had great results with Flying Spot Film Transfer in Seattle just going to HDCam, and now they offer the uncompressed to hard drive option so I'd check them out too.

www.fsft.com

Great, thank you for the feedback. I'll be sure to post what I end up doing along with any relevant comments.

Just thought I'd offer a couple words of wisdom from someone whose done what you are about to do. I am curious, why do you want to get umcompressed HD files or a 2k datacine? Either are really expensive... Do you know FOR SURE, without a doubt that you will be projecting your short in HD, or going back to film via a DI?

If not, why go HD at all? If you might project in HD or might go back to film, why get all your stuff done in HD until you KNOW this will happen...

Don't get me wrong, I love HD and I love working with it, but it can be disappointing when you spend all this money to get an HDCam or D5 master, then it sits on your shelf, never to be viewed by a soul. (I have a couple tapes doing just that) I would suggest going the cheapest route to get a good viewable copy of your film, then worry about HD once you know you'll get a screening.