What Are Your Thoughts On the Beaulieu R-16 ?

Guest Terry Lasater

Guest Terry Lasater

I recently purchased a Beaulieu R-16 in mint condition with an Angeniux 12-120mm manual zoom lens from someone on eBay for $600. I've seen a lot of good condition used cameras before, but this one looks like it was kept in a box inside a safe since the day it was purchased. Absolutely no marring, etc. on lens or body.

I realize there are many superior systems, but for the price it seems it could be a useful tool to add to the arsenal.

So, here's my question... What do you think about owning and/or using Beaulieu R-16 cameras?

Can they be converted for Super16? If so, where and how much?

thanks!

Terry Lasater

Hi Terry I've got an R16 - I'm not an expert but I think they're an okay camera - they are loud though - which is the only real problem I've found with them. The 100ft daylight spools run pretty short so I'd advise you to get a magazine or two - they often spring up on eBay - the 200ft spools are hard to come by though. As I understand it the Super 16 conversion can be done but is problematic I think the lense needs recentring and the viewfinder isn't wide enough -- ultra 16 might be a possibility though and is something I'm going to look into with mine. I started a forum for R16's a while ago - you'll find lots of info there

Beaulieu R16 Forum

Also if you have the three turret model you won't be able to use the zoom with it - it's too heavy and the turret slowly bends forward (minutely though I guess) but enough to create imaging problems

Scot

It seems to me if you want a S16 camera, buy one designed for it or at least get something that has resources for such conversions.

I've only used on a couple of occaisions and it never had a strong appeal, but I recently learned that Chris ("La Jetee") Marker's "Sans Soleil" which is one of the 15 films in my all time top 10 ;) was shot with a Beaulieu R-16 so in that spirit, go out and do some cool work with it !

-Sam

Guest Terry Lasater

Thanks, Scotness & SamWells for your replies.

Scotness - Thanks for the link to the Beaulieu Forum!

Anyone else have R-16 info or stories they'd care to share?

I too own an R16, and it too is in almost unused condition.

I have so far only shot 600ft through it.

Minus points:

Noisy

position of viewfinder

no 400ft mag

Plus points

French - I love the motion picture camera making tradition in France

Asthetically pleasing

Good registration

Seems very well made with lots of attention to detail

reasonable 64fps

Mine seems to hold a very constant speed, despite not being crystal controlled

Matt

I realize there are many superior systems, but for the price it seems it could be a useful tool to add to the arsenal.

I think this is the thing about these cameras - I think they are basically very good value.

On the R16 forum check out:

http://p205.ezboard.com/fbeaulieur16usersf...opicID=32.topic

Find the post by Bjorn Andersson. He is the world leading guru on Beaulieu cameras and has been repairing and servicing them continiously for the last 30 years.

He recently serviced my 4008 super8 camera.

Matt

Guest Terry Lasater

Hey Matt,

Thanks for the info. I can't wait to test out my *new* Beaulieu R-16 with some film.

I also have a 4008ZM II that I would like to have serviced. How much did it cost to have your camera overhauled?

I also have a couple of 5008S Multi Speed Super8 cameras. As I'm sure you know... they are bulkier than a 4008 and don't have as many frame rates, but because they were made for sound they are much quieter.

BTW, Whatever became of the Beaulieu Company? Are they still in France? I remember seeing a website once that promoted a steadicam-like device and a designer floor lamp or something (?). Do they survive on past glories or are they still in production with cine equipment?

Thanks again for sharing.

Terry

The cost of servicing my 4008 was £275 including delivery back to the UK. Obviously every repair job is different, and prices can vary depending on what he has to do. However it is great knowing that the camera has been properly cleaned and lubricated and then set up by someone with Bjorn's level of experience.

The service on my 4008 consisted of a full overhaul including the Angenieux 8-64 zoom lens cleaned lubricated and collimated, all mechanical components in the camera were cleaned and then lubricated and the frame rate switch was changed for one with a 'click' for 25fps. All frame rates were set. All internal optics were cleaned and set from the ground glass to the last lens in the viewfinder. The Nicad battery was also re-celled. I prefer having the original recelled as this eliminates the use of an 'umbillical' cord between the camera and battery.

Basically everything. The problem with a lot of these cameras is even if they appear to have had little use all the lubrication is, as Bjorn puts it, like 'glue' and the camera HAS to be fully cleaned first.

I absolutely love the Beaulieu Super8 cameras and especially the 4008 - it has to be the coolest looking camera ever made, and on top of its "coolness" it has the mirrored shutter and c-mount and it is really compact. The Angenieux 8-64 zoom is both beautiful in asthetic design and in the images it produces.

As for Beaulieu, they still operate but sadly they no longer manufacture cameras. They sold all of their stock of parts to a company called Wittner in Germany. They also offer servicing, but I would reccomend Bjorn. I think Wittner are planning the manufacture of a couple of new 6008/7008 cameras.

Matt

Mt

We have used this camera as a remote on cliffs filming eagle nests.

Ours has auto exposure which helped as weather changed but it eats

the battery so we ran a line down the cliff and added new batteries

each day. Its just fragile, we have used them for skiing and work

well even in the cold but going in and out of packs etc they dont

hold up well. Be very gentle with the camera and it will serve you

find. Do slop tests with it as they get out of registration and that

seems to be hard to find anyone that can fix it. We have 2 200 magazines

and would like to sell ours as we dont use it much any more.

The disadvantage is not the camera its the fact it is not made anymore

and servicing is quite a challenge on a Beaulieu but we've had a great

time using our for all kinds of different uses since it is small and electric.

For a production camera in the same price range I'd look at an ArriS

or even a CP, but for quick stuff, a mount camera, and a remote

the Beaulieu offers some excellent applications. Frankly, the

Angenieux 12--120 that everyone has is really not much of lense

anymore as it is not that sharp, is really blue, and costs alot to

fix if the zoom transport gets out of alignment. Use warming filters

on the Angenieux to getter a nice feel to the footage and make sure

your f stop setting perfect then you'll get good results.

Frankly, the Angenieux 12--120 that everyone has is really not much of lense anymore as it is not that sharp, is really blue, and costs alot to fix if the zoom transport gets out of alignment. Use warming filters

on the Angenieux to getter a nice feel to the footage and make sure

your f stop setting perfect then you'll get good results.

Interesting about the Angenieux and the colour rendition.

As for Beaulieu, they still operate but sadly they no longer manufacture cameras. They sold all of their stock of parts to a company called Wittner in Germany.

They can be contacted here:

Wittner Home Page

Daniel Wittner always has interesting and often unusual used equipment in 8, 16 and 35mm formats, the web site is always worth a look.