FCP RT Extreme hack?

Matt Sandstrom

hi,

i'm trying to use an 800mhz ibook g4 to output hdv to tape, but fcp tells me i need a 1ghz computer to use hdv. well, that makes sense for editing and effects, but surely print to tape isn't the heaviest part of hdv handling, especially if i don't mirror on desktop. after all dvhscap works just fine. so my guess is there's a line in "rt software enabler.txt" that will fix this for me, like the old enabler for g3 computers and the realtime jpeg at 75% hack? anybody tried that?

/matt

I don't know of any hacks.

Are you laying back to HDV tape? I suspect you are running into that limitation because the computer has to re-encode from Apple's intemediary codec back to mpeg long GOP to lay that back to tape. That requires a lot of processing power. In the PC world it is recommended you have at least a Pentium 4 3Ghz do deal with HDV.

i know, you're right, but it doesn't do it in realtime on a 1ghz g4 either, but it works. i don't mind waiting 25% longer. once the file is "conformed" it's just a simple stream copy that shouldn't take any more processing power than a dv print to tape. my problem is not that it's slow, but that i get an alert box thrown in my face saying that i need a faster computer. let me decide that for myself thank you... ;-)

/matt

The software probably just has a few lines of code in it to check for the minimum equipment requirements. Whether it actually needs that equipment it is asking for or Apple just wants you to buy or upgrade your machine is hidden somewhere in that code and the minds of the programmers.

I experienced the same issue when I tried to use DVD Studio Pro on a G3 machine. I could use the software to a point but when I tried to burn a disk it told me I needed a G4 Altivec chip.

If you had your video files on an external disk you could take the drive and your FCP file over to an appropriate machine to print your project. If you have a friend who has the appropriate machine and hardware.

Best

Tim

Applications highly optimized to use Altivec have an entire instruction set that is not usable on the G3 chip.

I'm sure newer software is so optimized to make full use of Altivec that some operations on the G3 with no Altivec SIMD instruction set may not even be usable.

The newer SIMD instruction set on Intel chips will go well beyond Altivec, technology moves on.