STORAGE SOLUTIONS?

gordon liron

I'm putting together a HVX package for a friend who is going to sale around the world and shoot 2 movies over the course of a few years.

I'm wondering what his options might be for long term storage. Advantage of tape is that you can dump the footage of your drive and re-digitze only what you need while preserving your originals. But with the HVX....it seems like hardrives are the only solution correct? I'm just wondering if I will have to budget at least 5 terebyte lacie drives for him.

any info would be appreciated. I'm not totally against HDV but for the most part...everything I've seen and read about the HVX makes me believe it is the strongest format....minus the freakin p2 cards and firestore, etc, etc.

thanks

gordon

• 2 months later...

Hey Gordon,

Good to hear from ya again!

That's my only beef with the HVX, is the issue of archiving footage. The best solution of course is a Hard Drive for keeping your footage as uncompressed as possible and avoiding artifact errors that can happen with tape.

I'm curious about the durability of the XDCAM HD's media discs. Do erros and artifacts appear on the disc over time like with DVD-R's? At $30 a piece, and easily archived just like your CD's at home, they're great.