Still frame

Bill Totolo

• Premium Member

Shot on the HVX200 480/24P letterbox.

Tons of compression: saved as H.264, frame grabbed as a tiff, imported into photoshop, converted to jpeg. Minor adjustments to color and sharpness.

This is JEL, from Anticon, for a promo piece I shot for Low End Theory:

msg-118877551549.jpg

Welcome critique of lighting f/g, b/g, subject, framing, etc...

Thank you,

Hi Bill,

why this tons of compression? This makes no sense for me, but whatever. The frame seems to be a little bit squeezed to me or? I think framing and lightning is a matter of taste, so it looks ok. The reflection on the left side (background) isn't so sweet. I like the kicker from the right, but I prefer harsher contrasts so I may would put the key light down a little bit. Maybe I had dimmed the light on the door too, because so the view is focused on the door and the tags on the door first, then on the guy. But this is just my opinion. Go for it.

Cheers,

Alex

• Premium Member

Thanks for the feedback. I certainly appreciate the collective insight.

The director studied with the F64 club and has a very creative/non-traditional eye. I have an arri 650 fresnel in the b/g (upper right hand corner) w/ xsmall chimera and gel lighting the door and acting as a 3/4 back on the subject. We wanted to let the f/g go under.

I asked the subject to step back but the director was willing to take a hit in sharpness for the framing.

msg-118878893348.jpg

In hindsight I would have taken out the full CTO from the litepanel on the camera and only gone with 1/2 correction.

Thanks for your feedback, no better way to learn.

I think if i were lighting this gentleman I would have wrapped the backlight around the front of his face a bit more (making it a key light) and then left the fill where you have it. Just a suggestion. BG looks good - always important to through some light back there (in most cases) to seperate your layers, and actor from other elements.

Good luck.

• Premium Member

The BG looks to lit to me. It's because you have a square of light. Where in real life does a square of light come from? I think it would help the shot greatly if you just rotated the barndoors on that light 45 degrees or so and made it look like a more irregular shape.

• Premium Member
The BG looks to lit to me. It's because you have a square of light. Where in real life does a square of light come from?

Interesting observation, Chris. I'll have to ponder that one. I like all your evaluations, very technical and specific. Much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

hi

i don't like the way you use your back light

first it hit the nose not so pretty

then you have hot spot on the forehead so it look like small light (650 or dedo)

and most important thing is that i think it came from the wrong side it should be on the dark side separate from bg that's why for the first time i look at the pic i thought he is standing very close to the door

for me i also don't like the under exposed face with the use of frontal hard light i think soft /bounce light will give more real felling

maybe a little from the top like a lamp for the ceiling :D

Edited by Ram Shani