I have a shoot coming up that I will be the 2nd AD for, but I'm not quite sure what this job entails. I know this forum is dedicated to cinematography and the more technical aspects of filmmaking, butif any of you have some advice to give, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!!

Gino Terribilini

Edited by Gino Terribilini

The 2nd A.d. usually deals mostly with the daily scheduling of the shoot, preparing the call sheets and making sure all the communication channels stay open. In theory, the 2nd A.d. is the one of all the directorial department that spends less time on set, if the 1st is helped by the 2nd 2nd and by the 3rd a.d.

On set and in absence of a 2nd 2nd A.d. and a 3rd (I'm assuming you're going to work on a small-budget production), the 2nd A.d. usually takes care of the actors, making sure they know what scenes are shoooting any given day, that they have the correct draft of the script, overseeing their movements and making sure they're ready when needed (i.e. babysitting), and manages the extras following the directions given by the 1st and by the director (although, if you're good at it, the 1st will gladly let you deal with the extras exclusively).

On top of that, be ready to help the 1st any way you can (traffic control, cues, dealing with other departments, etc).

It's not a difficult job per se, but it can be quite stressful.